Should I get a Mac or Pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to be an animation major before I switched to sculpture and I used Maya a lot. I will say that even with freshman work, you will want as much processing power you can get. I think people underestimate the time rendering can take and how much of a difference a stronger processor can make. A single frame with some fairly basic textures, about 3 lights, and some high quality shadows on a human figure which has medium detail to it can take several minutes. Times that by 30 to get a whole second and then by another 60 to get a minute. That is a very long time. An i7 can cut that time significantly compared to an e8500 or even a q9400. I know this first hand because I used to have a QX6700 and then I upgraded to an i7 and I noticed a significant difference.

The only way production companies can crank out movies in a decent amount of time is because they have massive render farms doing all of their rendering for them. Even with those, their high res. movies can still take hours per frame.

I highly recommend an i7. It will last her through her 4+ yrs. of school and she won't have to worry about upgrades. Just because she is a freshman student doesn't mean that an i7 will be too much for her. She will appreciate her projects rendering faster when it comes crunch time. Someone even put together an i7 build for under your stated budget so why not get it?

for 1500-1700 you can build a monster gaming irg, so you can easily make an i7 monster without a performance video card for under that price if she decides to go that route.

I don't get the logo.... am i stupid?? lol

DIY = Do It Yourself. It's a common term for PC enthusiasts as well as anything from tinkering on cars or doing stuff around the house.

I used to be an animation major before I switched to sculpture and I used Maya a lot. I will say that even with freshman work, you will want as much processing power you can get. I think people underestimate the time rendering can take and how much of a difference a stronger processor can make. A single frame with some fairly basic textures, about 3 lights, and some high quality shadows on a human figure which has medium detail to it can take several minutes. Times that by 30 to get a whole second and then by another 60 to get a minute. That is a very long time. An i7 can cut that time significantly compared to an e8500 or even a q9400. I know this first hand because I used to have a QX6700 and then I upgraded to an i7 and I noticed a significant difference.

The only way production companies can crank out movies in a decent amount of time is because they have massive render farms doing all of their rendering for them. Even with those, their high res. movies can still take hours per frame.

I highly recommend an i7. It will last her through her 4+ yrs. of school and she won't have to worry about upgrades. Just because she is a freshman student doesn't mean that an i7 will be too much for her. She will appreciate her projects rendering faster when it comes crunch time. Someone even put together an i7 build for under your stated budget so why not get it?
I agree. Just because Macs say they are all that for video and stuff doesn't mean it's true. A huge benefit will be gained by getting an i7 and some high performance memory. I'm not really familiar with animation rendering, but just regular video rendering can take a good amount of time and uses a good deal of CPU/RAM resources. I say save the headaches and spend the money on a high performance custom build.

I agree.

Why would you buy a pre-built, or a Mac, when you can get so much more power for your budget?
The budget was announced, PJ gave ya a great build, and you still denied it.

To the guy who said "Future Proof does not exist", seems to be misunderstanding the term for future proof.
"The phrase future proofing describes the elusive process of trying to anticipate future developments, so that action can be taken to minimize possible negative consequences, and to seize opportunities".

The build posted by PJ for the i7 is the way to go, anyone who says otherwise isn't admitting to another underlying issue.
I honestly think the underlying issue is that you don't know the new products, and are afraid to build them, seeing as you mentioned it almost every post.
All I can say is, don't worry, its the same as building always, no difference, you'll enjoy it, especially with a new i7.

You said she wants to get into pixar? Well those take YEARS to make. I remember cars preveiws back in 2000. Little kids remember this stuff :p. That didnt even hit theatres until 2005ish? Go witht eh i7. What happens if she decides to move on to bigger things within the year. It would just be a safe bet to go better now instead of being screwed later.

Ahhh, I was unaware that diy= do it yourself. I have built two computers now... i guess im not an enthusiast. or just stupid

Ahhh, I was unaware that diy= do it yourself. I have built two computers now... i guess im not an enthusiast. or just stupid

DIY refers to just more than computer building. Its home repair, kits for building various things, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom