Laptop Overheating causes slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
I have a very major problem with my laptop that will probably cause me to reformat it.

Problem:
1) Laptop slows down after periodic use
2) I would play a Warcraft 3 game and it's framerate will come from the full 60 all the way down to 20
3) The solution is to ALT-tab out of the game and then (using task manager) "End Tree Process" for DWN.EXE and then set War3.Exe priority to high.
4) This will temporarily set Warcraft 3 to 60 frames per second.
5) After a while it will cause Warcraft 3 to go down to 20 to even 15 fps.
6) there is no solution beyond this point
7) I can't even keep VLC (the low-weight application) to play mp3 files while playing games because my computer gets so slow.
8) I can't watch any regular 480p DVD without it being choppy every minute, don't even get me started with 720p shows.
9) I noticed that my laptop is scalding hot.

What is my problem and my solution?

Laptop issues in the Everything Laptop area please.

Hello,

What laptop do you have?

First, determine if your laptop is overheating. Use a free program like Core Temp to monitor your system temperatures when running a demanding program. Post your temps here.

I have the Gateway P-7811FX

I go up to 80C then I alt-tab out of it then set it to "power saver" in the battery mode which drastically reduces the heat down to 60C and lower as we speak.

I use GPU-Z btw which shouldn't be much differnt.

If you alt-tab while gaming and change to "power saver" what you are doing is limiting your CPU frequency to 1.13 GHz per core, which would explain the performance drop.

I also have some crazy CPU temps with the laptop in my sig, but I can watch full HD (1080p) without a single stutter ever, so maybe you have several issues.

It's a whole new ball game from going from your desktop to a full fledged memory/cpu hog. The reason you are getting the 60 FPS to start with is because it hasn't gotten hot yet.

You probably see alot of blue screens I imagine.

If you alt-tab while gaming and change to "power saver" what you are doing is limiting your CPU frequency to 1.13 GHz per core, which would explain the performance drop.

I also have some crazy CPU temps with the laptop in my sig, but I can watch full HD (1080p) without a single stutter ever, so maybe you have several issues.

You have it all wrong. Perhaps I should've been more clear or not created a misleading post.

The fastest way I can cooldown my PC is setting it to Power Saver. Immediately put it back to High Performance once it has "cooled down".

My performance drop starts when my PC is on for hours watching either 720/1080p movies or when it has been playing video games for hours. It starts to stutter.

I too can play 1080p movies without any single frame drop. Its on the 3rd or 4th movie that causes this to inevitably happen.

It's a whole new ball game from going from your desktop to a full fledged memory/cpu hog. The reason you are getting the 60 FPS to start with is because it hasn't gotten hot yet.

You probably see alot of blue screens I imagine.

I have received blue screens for the past several days every day for some reason. I didn't have time to take note of it as it happens when I'm browsing a website instead of watching a movie or playing games.

Is this a hardware problem or a software? I've never dropped my laptop. I've taken great care of it.

I too can play 1080p movies without any single frame drop. Its on the 3rd or 4th movie that causes this to inevitably happen.

I have received blue screens for the past several days every day for some reason. I didn't have time to take note of it as it happens when I'm browsing a website instead of watching a movie or playing games.

Is this a hardware problem or a software? I've never dropped my laptop. I've taken great care of it.

Movies can get a laptop fairly toasty. Especially with the AMD processors. I find this to be the fact that AMD CPU's run much hotter than Intel (well known) and they are no changes to the cooling system. And I've had blue screens alot from using InterActual to play movies, just because it's a piece of junk to watch movies on, dunno if that is what you are using or not. And by your 3rd or 4th movie I am sure it's pretty toasty.

Try getting a temp monitoring program. To get an idea, I keep my desktop no higher than 60C on full load.

I may be wrong, but it seems you are a subject to heat on this matter. It's always a good idea to spend the extra few bucks on a cooling station/board. They help defer the heat tremendously.

You have it all wrong. Perhaps I should've been more clear or not created a misleading post.

The fastest way I can cooldown my PC is setting it to Power Saver. Immediately put it back to High Performance once it has "cooled down".

My performance drop starts when my PC is on for hours watching either 720/1080p movies or when it has been playing video games for hours. It starts to stutter.

Ahh OK, that definitely sounds like a heat problem.

Just to give you a "measure", I am now posting in his thread on my XPS 1330 laptop, sitting on my bed (gets hotter than when it's on a desk), in Power Saver mode (permanently 2x1.20GHz instead of 2x2.40Ghz), and CoreTemp is giving me 54-56ºC. Room temperature is 30ish.

Ahh OK, that definitely sounds like a heat problem.

Just to give you a "measure", I am now posting in his thread on my XPS 1330 laptop, sitting on my bed (gets hotter than when it's on a desk), in Power Saver mode (permanently 2x1.20GHz instead of 2x2.40Ghz), and CoreTemp is giving me 54-56ºC. Room temperature is 30ish.

You have to consider the fact that when you are laying in bed the laptop in on the covers and because laptops draw air from the bottom it is going to have to covers blocking it. On a hard surface it has a little bit of a chance. I always use a book or something to prop the laptop when I am laying in bed and sometimes at a desk. (When I am using higher-end programs and such)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom