Should you build your own or buy a pre built PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it really depends on what you are trying to do.

If you just need a basic machine for average use then just go with an off-the-shelf from eBay. That's what my bro did for his WoW machine and it's worked great so far.

However, if you have a high-end need then you will want a purpose-built machine.

heck yeah man, you can't beat the price on those Dell optiplex GX280's....haha like $150 and play wow pretty good LOL! but for anything else.....build you're own

I'm wondering where this I need the newest and greatest of everything! mentality came from?

Most people never even touch the performance capacity of their machines, except with the newest games. The only time you need a highly customized power machine is for cutting edge games OR hardcore video rendering workstations.

Other than that, scientific programs, like for bioinformatics, are highly specific purposebuilt machines.

keeping up with the Jones' has been around a long time.....but i guess it's driven by the whole "people think better of me for what i own" mentality

I dunno, I feel pretty hot for bragging about what I can do on outdated and underpowered systems... I respect which applications someone uses and the sophistication of their environment more than the metal it's on.

Wanting the best isn't unique to computers. If you go to a car enthusiasts forum I bet you don't see a lot of people talking about wanting Hyundai Accents.To me computers are a hobby, and a relatively inexpensive on at that.

oh yeah, as far as hobbies go, computers are relatively inexpensive. i'm not big into gaming, but i wanted as good a system i could afford so i could boost my Folding PPD....hahaha so i don't feel so bad for spending the money.

I'm wondering where this I need the newest and greatest of everything! mentality came from?

Most people never even touch the performance capacity of their machines, except with the newest games. The only time you need a highly customized power machine is for cutting edge games OR hardcore video rendering workstations.

Other than that, scientific programs, like for bioinformatics, are highly specific purposebuilt machines.

You don't need the greatest/newest to build. Getting quality parts you cAn trust is the biggest.

That quad build on ebay you posted has absolute crap parts. If you stuck a gpu into it, you'd have to get a new psu.

Also some of us like not wasting money... any update to a cheap setup requires multiple upgrades, thus tossing out working we didn't want to update.

Edit........

I just built the ebay setup for 10 bucks more on newegg, BUT with a 300 and antec 500W psu.

So your cheaper cause odf bulk is bunk.

You don't need the greatest/newest to build. Getting quality parts you cAn trust is the biggest.

That quad build on ebay you posted has absolute crap parts. If you stuck a gpu into it, you'd have to get a new psu.

Also some of us like not wasting money... any update to a cheap setup requires multiple upgrades, thus tossing out working we didn't want to update.

QFT

It's always better to build it right the first time.

Not to hijack but is there a resource that is considered best for helping with the actual build. I'm order my parts today for my first build.
Here is a pretty good guide with video instructions too. Someone else posted that here before (just don't remember who), so credit goes to them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom