Should I get a Mac or Pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
well if you insist on spending more to get the same thing, then you can just buy the parts on that machine I linked and then take the time to build it yourself. But I promise, you'll just be wasting time and money.

The only time that custom building machines becomes economical is when it's TOP END performance.

My bro bought just parts and it took him about 18 hours to get it squared away. That was a particularly pesky build - it should not have taken that long but there are always unforeseen hiccups. We got the prebuilt and I slapped a vista OEM on it and it was running in less than 40 minutes.

if i have the parts on me, it takes about an an hour or 2 max to get it all together.

I understand ure point of view but i rather just build it myself....i'm a pc builder and its a personal choice....

Granted for the newegg thing for the monitors - however the powersellers on eBay are unmatched for value. My bro and I bought a prebuilt from ebay and attempted to match the quality by building ourselves. It's just not possible. They get bulk discounts and usually sheer off at least 20% of the build cost.

EDIT:

INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 CUSTOM COMPUTER PC SYSTEM NEW - eBay (item 400048824060 end time May-19-09 21:55:00 PDT)

You cannot beat your bang for your buck. I would honestly recommend this machine since she's not going to be a hardcore power-user. This is WAY more than adequate for what you've describe her doing.

Spark those computers are not that great. I could use Newegg to get better parts for the same price. They use slow and cheap RAM and mobos to bring their costs down. Trust me, they are anything but high quality machines if you actually look at the parts used.

Also, I do not know why you seem to think buying pre-built is better. It is only better for the absolute low end of the market where everything is cheap. If you start getting into needing a good video card, 4GB of good RAM, high quality parts, building it yourself is almost always cheaper.

well if you insist on spending more to get the same thing, then you can just buy the parts on that machine I linked and then take the time to build it yourself. But I promise, you'll just be wasting time and money.

The only time that custom building machines becomes economical is when it's TOP END performance.

My bro bought just parts and it took him about 18 hours to get it squared away. That was a particularly pesky build - it should not have taken that long but there are always unforeseen hiccups. We got the prebuilt and I slapped a vista OEM on it and it was running in less than 40 minutes.

I would insist on buying my own parts because the parts in there are crap... ASRock G31 mobo, DDR2 667 RAM, noname 500gb HDD? Yeah no.

It's plenty "economical" to build a machine that's no super high performance and bleeding edge by yourself. Only thing that really matters is not being lazy.

Except no one who really does serious editing uses the built in Mac software (iLife?). Everyone who designs on a Mac still uses Adobe Suite and the like so it really makes no sense to pay a premium for the same software.

There really is more to it. The overall experience is a pleasure.

edit: design and editing aside. It's just overall better. Maybe not performance wise because let's face it everyone here games and overclocks. But I guarantee if you check out OS X and use it that you'd fall in love w/ it too.

INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 CUSTOM COMPUTER PC SYSTEM NEW - eBay (item 400048824060 end time May-19-09 21:55:00 PDT)

You cannot beat your bang for your buck. I would honestly recommend this machine since she's not going to be a hardcore power-user. This is WAY more than adequate for what you've describe her doing.

That system is hardly a good value. It has a low end motherboard from a mediocre brand, most likely worthless psu, slow ram, unspecified gpu and a mediocre case.

I agree with hikaricloud, go for an i7. I will post a build for you as soon as I can get one put together

you guys are too much! :p

get waaayyy too carried away on this stuff. It's a graphic artist PC we're talking about... stay focused on the objective.

however the "parts on hand" bit is quite compelling.

Anyways, you'd be surprised what I can do with spare parts laying around. I've cobbled together some very nice workstations from parts laying around... many which would be more than adequate for the work being talked about.

You'd be surprised at how much work you can get out of a GX270 if you know what you're doing ;)

There really is more to it. The overall experience is a pleasure

It's an illusion. The experiences I have had with Macs as a technician show their true colors. They are PC's with a premium price tag and a difficult OS that the solutions to simple issues are never very simple.

They can never seem to print right on a network, have unexplained issues and the knowledge base to fix those issues is not there, are incredibly proprietary when upgrading (2006 Macs and before), etc.

Also, for a very good machine that will handle video and audio work I would not settle for just a dual core. Sure a good E8400 can get the job done, but when the tasks are as demanding as rendering 3D animations, a quad core will do it much better.

Go with a Q9400 or better CPU, 4GB of DDR2 800, and an HD 4770 GPU or better to handle the high resolution renders.

i7 is only $200 now at Microcenter so jump on it while you can.

It's an illusion. The experiences I have had with Macs as a technician show their true colors. They are PC's with a premium price tag and a difficult OS that the solutions to simple issues are never very simple.

I'm not going to get into which is better. This is going to go on forever. All I'm saying is before anyone says it's not worth it, try it out and you might change your mind.

you guys are too much! :p

get waaayyy too carried away on this stuff. It's a graphic artist PC we're talking about... stay focused on the objective.

however the "parts on hand" bit is quite compelling.

Anyways, you'd be surprised what I can do with spare parts laying around. I've cobbled together some very nice workstations from parts laying around... many which would be more than adequate for the work being talked about.

You'd be surprised at how much work you can get out of a GX270 if you know what you're doing ;)
well even though she won't be overclocking and gaming, i wouldnt her to have generic parts or low value names.
a lot of ppl you talk to over here all builders or want to be builders and would prefer to build their own pc. Its a satisfaction thing...well to me it is. Getting pre built is taking the easier way out!

but to use the i7 don't u need an expensive mobo and ram?

I'm not going to get into which is better. This is going to go on forever. All I'm saying is before anyone says it's not worth it, try it out and you might change your mind.

See my edited post. I have quite too much experience with Macs and OS X. They are great for just doing simple home usage things, but anything above that, and looking 2-3 years down the line they become a wreck of issues and a pain to upgrade. I won't argue it further, either, I just wanted to make sure you knew my opinion was from first hand experience and not some random Windows bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom