Should I get a Mac or Pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
well she wants a desktop not a laptop even though i suggested it.

I might be building the pc so what do you think should be enough?
like gpu/cpu wise....

EDIT!!!!
To add on, she said she will also be doing video and audio editing!

If she's doing audio and video editing I would consider a Mac. Unfortunately to use their superb software you have to use their hardware which comes at a premium. If she's really serious look into Logic for an audio suite. Absolutely every producers/composers dream.

EDIT: I would definitely not recommend a prebuilt, or buying monitors at walmart. Overpriced. You can get monitors on newegg with free shipping, and loads cheaper.

Granted for the newegg thing for the monitors - however the powersellers on eBay are unmatched for value. My bro and I bought a prebuilt from ebay and attempted to match the quality by building ourselves. It's just not possible. They get bulk discounts and usually sheer off at least 20% of the build cost.

EDIT:

INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 CUSTOM COMPUTER PC SYSTEM NEW - eBay (item 400048824060 end time May-19-09 21:55:00 PDT)

You cannot beat your bang for your buck. I would honestly recommend this machine since she's not going to be a hardcore power-user. This is WAY more than adequate for what you've describe her doing.

I rarely see anything worthwhile on ebay, just people trying to tell me that a 2.1ghz 8450 has 6.6ghz of theological processing power, lol.

Even if it cost a few more bucks to make it yourself, I would prefer that. You can be sure of the parts, and you can be sure of your own handiwork.

EDIT: That 24" Acer is a steal right now mate.

Newegg.com - Acer H243Hbmid 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 40000:1 Max (ACM) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

$230 with the promo code and free shipping. That's a sweet deal.

EDIT2: On second thought, that 23.6" ASUS is pretty sweet too, same resolution as the Acer.

Newegg.com - ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

I rarely see anything worthwhile on ebay, just people trying to tell me that a 2.1ghz 8450 has 6.6ghz of theological processing power, lol.

Even if it cost a few more bucks to make it yourself, I would prefer that. You can be sure of the parts, and you can be sure of your own handiwork.

yup i agree...
no one should suggest to buy a pre built pc over here.

I dont mind building one...i still remember how to do so.
Just not sure on the current hardware thats out.

Well like SMH was saying, a dual core should be fine for what she is doing, but with that kind of budget, there's no reason not to get something that is REALLY nice, and will last a long time performance wise.

Besides, wouldn't you like to try out an i7 after you build it? ;)

well if you insist on spending more to get the same thing, then you can just buy the parts on that machine I linked and then take the time to build it yourself. But I promise, you'll just be wasting time and money.

The only time that custom building machines becomes economical is when it's TOP END performance.

My bro bought just parts and it took him about 18 hours to get it squared away. That was a particularly pesky build - it should not have taken that long but there are always unforeseen hiccups. We got the prebuilt and I slapped a vista OEM on it and it was running in less than 40 minutes.

There is absolutely nothing about a Mac that makes them better at using the same applications as Windows. It is just a very common and unjustified fad to have a Mac if you are an "artist" of any kind. It sickens me to see people buy Macs just for Adobe Suite and related applications.... such a waste of money and probably less power.

Their software makes them better hands down.

If she's doing audio and video editing I would consider a Mac. Unfortunately to use their superb software you have to use their hardware which comes at a premium. If she's really serious look into Logic for an audio suite. Absolutely every producers/composers dream.

Except no one who really does serious editing uses the built in Mac software (iLife?). Everyone who designs on a Mac still uses Adobe Suite and the like so it really makes no sense to pay a premium for the same software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom