HD4830 xFire v HD4850 xFire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why 31 FPS in Crysis is considered borderline unplayable...

My post probably should have been clearer but I meant that 26fps in Far Cry2 was borderline unplayable. Crysis would be pretty playable at 31fps but the problem is that was at settings that I would consider unacceptably low.

Remember that some game are not very good at using the full frame buffer of dual GPU cards (CoH, GTA IV, etc.), and in many cases you are getting only half of the available memory, like in the case of the 4770 CF on some of the benchmarks.

This +1

Also, tri fire scales decent with these cards judging from the results on XS. Tri SLI is the one that gives almost no performance benefits.

Are you sure on that? Ask veedub what he thinks about his tri-sli gtx 285s...

Are you sure on that? Ask veedub what he thinks about his tri-sli gtx 285s...

It doesn't give enough to benefit purchasing it. Look at the results on XS. The 4770 on the other hand scaled beautifully in tri crossfire.

(QUICK TEST) ..AMAZING SCALLING HD 4770 3X CF on X58 - XtremeSystems Forums
Adding a third card almost gives 4,000 more points in vantage. And these cards are near $100 a card.

GTX 285 Dual and TRI SLI Scaling Analysis Page 12/26

Here is a tri sli gtx285. I'll admit it does better then I thought. But the scaling isn't anything fantastic and even hurts performance over dual in a few tests. And these are near $300 a card.

I wish I had the results I was looking at comparing the 2 setups (4890 and gtx285) game for game, but I don't. Here is a 4890 tri crossfire though.

HD4890's tripple CFX on Classified - XtremeSystems Forums

the reason I'm going lower bin GPU is squarely based on xFire, I'm talking a matter of a few weeks between buying the first and second card.

The 4770 seems to be best for what I need.

I'm only disappointed by the cooling of the cards, I'm going to wait for a card with a better full cover cooler.

well if it were me i would really wait for the 1GB model to come out. supposedly XFX is coming out with a 1GB model and a better HSF. i would wait for those. like guru said, the 512mb of ram can really get eaten up, especially in games like GTA IV.

the reason I'm going lower bin GPU is squarely based on xFire, I'm talking a matter of a few weeks between buying the first and second card.

The 4770 seems to be best for what I need.

I'm only disappointed by the cooling of the cards, I'm going to wait for a card with a better full cover cooler.

well if it were me i would really wait for the 1GB model to come out. supposedly XFX is coming out with a 1GB model and a better HSF. i would wait for those. like guru said, the 512mb of ram can really get eaten up, especially in games like GTA IV.

It sounds like a smart move. Hope you have success with whatever you do with your money:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom