Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyq

krazy Techie
Well this is for a girl.

She's going into animation school and she said she'll be using
maya,photoshop 3dmax illustrator some 5-6 other ones

wat wud u guys suggest?

Well allof those are Windows apps...so might as well just get a good Windows laptop for the same price as a lesser-powered Mac.

Is this for a laptop or desktop? Either way go PC, just wanted to know because if portability is not a factor you could grab a PC desktop perfect for these applications for much cheaper than a laptop capable of them.

There is absolutely nothing about a Mac that makes them better at using the same applications as Windows. It is just a very common and unjustified fad to have a Mac if you are an "artist" of any kind. It sickens me to see people buy Macs just for Adobe Suite and related applications.... such a waste of money and probably less power.

well she wants a desktop not a laptop even though i suggested it.

I might be building the pc so what do you think should be enough?
like gpu/cpu wise....

EDIT!!!!
To add on, she said she will also be doing video and audio editing!

1.5 million!?!?!

Lol, jk I know what you meant.

With that budget she may be able to squeak in a core i7 build. Does she need the whole shabang (monitor, keyboard, mouse)? If so then Core i7 may be just out of reach as a graphics person will want either a large expensive monitor or dual monitors.

1.5 million!?!?!

Lol, jk I know what you meant.

With that budget she may be able to squeak in a core i7 build. Does she need the whole shabang (monitor, keyboard, mouse)? If so then Core i7 may be just out of reach as a graphics person will want either a large expensive monitor or dual monitors.

she needs everything...and no core i7, thats too much for her to handle!!!
i'm guessing a q6600 should be good unless u suggest a diff cpu.
i havnt built a cpu for a while...so theres a lot of new stuff idk!

For specific multimedia/mass media work a desktop with desktop monitors is best. Working on a laptop on that kind of stuff just gets aggravating because you have SO much clicking to do, plus you'll be sitting for long periods of time so you need an appropriate work station area - which isn't very portable.

Video processing IS rather processor intensive, however any typical dual core processor of today will be MORE than adequate for school work. Just get an off-the-shelf Dell or HP - or better yet find a surplus box from a powerseller on eBay. You'll pay abotu $500 on ebay for a VERY decent PC - then go grab a copy of XP Pro and load up all your apps.

Run to Walmart or even Target and look for a couple of 22" monitors. The 18" might be cheaper (significantly) but anyways $500 for the machine +$50 shipping - $150 x 2 for the monitors id $850 so far. Plus a couple of nice periphs- good keyboard/mouse plus a tablet and you're still at unde $1000 and I PROMISE that it will be more than powerful enough for the applications you listed.

I'm using an almost 3 year old mac mini with a single core processor to do audio/video/graphics productions. The only thing I'm not doing is 3D rendering.

once you get your new XP machine home get MRU blaster and CCleaner and install them and schedule them both to run at startup. Also create a Scheduled Task which defrags daily/weekly/monthly (pick one).

Also, insist on using Firefox for web browsing - and add a few of the security things like AdBlock and Cookie Culler. That will keep you running free and clear.

I went ahead and moved this to the building/upgrading high performance PCs, since it seems it's heading that way. :p

Dunno if I'd suggest a Q6600...maybe a Q9400 if you want a quad that isn't the i7. Though I see no reason not to go i7 if it can be afforded. ;)

EDIT: I would definitely not recommend a prebuilt, or buying monitors at walmart. Overpriced. You can get monitors on newegg with free shipping, and loads cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom