Building Basic Computer for Brother

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick0530

Solid State Member
Well my little brother is 10, but all he does is watch Youtube videos and play little online flash games all day, and his birthday is coming up and I wanted to make him a computer that works fine for all of his requirements at the minimal cost, that way he will leave mine alone. If you all would be so kind as to give some links to different pieces of hardware for the computer, it would be much appreciated:D
Remember, he's just 10 and needs something basic :p

Do you have any particular budget in mind?

Are monitor, keyboard and mouse required? If so, you may be better off buying a pre-built since you don't exactly need a high-quality build here.

we have a spare mouse, keyboard, and monitor. so just need the general computer.

and i was trying to keep it under $350 for a computer just to browse internet mainly.

That's pretty solid actually ^^ I agree.. and it not power sucking..

If he wants a netBook, that'd be good too.. but I don't know about its abilities to play Runescape, or whatever games a 10 year old plays now (back in my day it was..)

The Eeebox i mentioned should be able to play games even like WoW......i can on my EeePc 900 and it has 600mhz less processing power and the integrated graphics are a lot worse too lol. plus...it's so shmexy (and when he upgrades you have a nice lil media center) because it has HDMI

but on the same token......it only has HDMI...so that might become a problem as well but it does have a HDMI to DVI converter cable that comes with it

The KPCs are cheaper than the eeboxes.

Here's a spec'd out custom similar to the eeebox for much cheaper:

Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

Though, to be perfectly honest, you are unlikely to beat a deal like:

Acer Aspire One AOA150-1742 Refurbished Netbook Computer - Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz, 1GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, 8.9” WSVGA, Windows XP Home RB-L-LU.S410B.087 at TigerDirect.com

I mean, $230, no need to buy a monitor, keyboard, mouse...

Though, for a young child I would buy the linpus version. It is extremely child friendly and the SSD means no risk of hard drive failure if you drop/move it too much.

If you live near a Fry's, every week they have a different mobo/cpu combo for either $59.99 or $69.99, usually a sempron, celeron, or pentium D depending. If you're looking to go uber cheap you could buy one of those, and they also commonly have cases that are free after mail in rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom