Overclocking Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthTools

Hardware/VB.net/Anti-vir
I'm running a Q9650 that I can't overclock past 3.5GHz no matter what I try... Maybe its because I'm bad at overclocking or maybe its something else.

CPU-Z does not give my chip a revision and the batch# is: L829A405 and the stepping is A
I recently read: "q9650 is a guaranteed E0 stepping, which for some people might be a benefit"
and reading more about stepping I have come to the conclusion that I may have one of the first versions...
that means I might have a bad chip I think :(

I got this CPU to try for 4Ghz as I heard most were capable of it. I kept increasing voltages and raising the FSB but I couldn't raise the FSB to 400 or higher at all. I left it at 375, as that was the last stable point i could reach.

I'm running a BIOSTAR T-Power i45 which has been tested to achieve around 600MHz FSB. This board should have no problem reaching 500MHz right?

Do I have a bad CPU or motherboard? I might sell the parts i have now soon and build a new core i7 system and if I do that, whats a good overclocking x58 motherboard?

also what PSU do you think I'll need? I have a 850W Rosewill it was cheap, so I go it. Will it stand up easily to 4GHz while powering say.. two gtx 260 c216 and water cooling?

Spec:
ram: ddr21100-pc8800 OCZ
cpu: q9650
cooling: watercooling
mb: biostar t-power i45
psu: rosewill 850w

if you mean my watercooling equipment i have an apogee gtz and swiftech dual rad with 1/2" tubes... with the clock speed listed in the pic in my 1st post coretemp reads: 37 32 35 35 for all four cores.

as far as my ram i havent downclocked it.. i mostly let it sit at auto. I did set volts to 2.1v and 5 5 5 15 2t at 1066 to try and make it work like that.. should I set the ddr2-1100 to run at 800mhz or something? would that help?

i am rmaing the chip in hopes that I get a better one.. while i try and figure out how to overclock this one to see what i'm doing wrong because its probably me. my cpu doesn't have a revision and i think thats gota be bad.. I see lots of Stepping A revision E0 that are hitting over 4.5GHz o.o....

I find that upping the voltage on my RAM makes my higher overclocks iffy sometimes. I set my RAM down a few speeds (from 800mhz). I would set yours at 800 or 667 to start with, and leave the timings in auto. For your voltage, play around with it and see what works best...for me, it's generally 1.8v that works well.

Alright, I'll try overclocking one more time :| hopefully its not as painful as the other 4 times.. lol

I'll set my RAM as you have recommended and post back with results...
^^
400FSB and 3.6GHz stable... wow.. lets up the FSB some more.. i'm amazed i'm at 400FSB.. :p
^^
Oook... the maximum I could boot to was: 3948.5GHz @ 438.7 FSB

I'm currently running at 3917.6GHz @ 435.3 FSB Everything seems stable.

I dropped the multi to 8 and tried to boot in at 450 FSB it failed. I recieved many blue screens like PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGE AREA and PCF LIST CORRUPT (not sure if it was "pcf".. lol)

maybe this is the max the processor can do.. My RAM is 876MHz I think at auto timings with the voltage at 2.1v

Try just overclocking the CPU alone. Try overclocking for max FSB. That way you know what your board can do. You should have done these things in the beginning so you have an idea of what/how your going to run 24/7 and/or what everything is capable of doing

gotta be happy with 3.9ghz, now try work on your ram and try get it upwards of 900mhxz at CLk5 timings, you will benefit more from speed then timings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom