Thermal Paste Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leatherface

Baseband Member
Hey guys!

my new components are coming tomorrow, and i was reading up on how to apply the thermal paste to the CPU.

Ive ordered 3.5g of AS5, and when i was looking at the AS5 instructions online, it says that i gotta...like...rotate the cpu so that when i apply the paste so it goes across all the cores?

heres the link: Arctic Silver Incorporated - Arctic Silver 5 Instructions

at the bottom of the page it gives a note about the i7s, so am i right in thinking that i just rotate the chip(or motherboard because i dont wanna take it out) 90 degrees clockwise, so the triangle is top left?

then would i apply the paste like vertically, as in from the top to the bottom (in its current orientation) or horizontally?

if all goes well i should finally have my computer up and running :)

Thanks guys!

You should have gotten TX-2 instead of AS5. TX-2 is cheaper and performs better than AS5.

two options.

#1 turn the motherboard or case 90 degrees.
#2 move your body around the motherboard until it is positioned correctly.

two options.

#1 turn the motherboard or case 90 degrees.
#2 move your body around the motherboard until it is positioned correctly.

so..from your answer i assume that im reading it right, but....do you think that im reading a bit much into it?

should i just slap some paste on the cpu spread it around and then mount the cooler?

now that you guys have replied....i think im just being tooo....bleh! ya know!

anyways thanks guys =p

Don't put on to much, and there is no REAL CORRECT way to put thermal paste on, only preferred methods out there, but AS5 = great, was the best out there for a long time, but some have found a few other brands to be similar and cheaper so they go with that. IMO AS5 is all I will ever buy honestly...

Don't put on to much, and there is no REAL CORRECT way to put thermal paste on, only preferred methods out there, but AS5 = great, was the best out there for a long time, but some have found a few other brands to be similar and cheaper so they go with that. IMO AS5 is all I will ever buy honestly...

Why if there's proven better/cheaper pastes though? lol MX-2 was better than AS5, but was the same price. Then TX-2 came out, and was cheaper for the same amount, and performed better.

I don't understand how a dollar or two would make someone get one paste over another. It is what performs best.

I've been using tx-2 a lot. I've found that OCZ freeze is actually better though. It dropped my load temps by 3-5c's unless I somehow mounted my water block on my CPU better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom