Charging a dell?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my dell for just over 3 months now, and i still havent had the time or money to get a charger yet. its been one thing after another. first my desktop pc blows up, then i get in a car accident, now my battery on my gateway laptop is fried...

Is there any possible way i can rig a charger up to this dell? its going to be used as a desktop replacement, so it doesn't need to be portable.

It has the 3pin triangle connector, rated 20v @ 3.5a

I have a 19v 3.42A charger handy if i can try the pinout, but i know dells are picky with chargers, like they have to recieve a certian signal on one of the lines. If im not mistaken, this is the pinout on the laptop side

.. GND
.....[].....
..[]....[]
+20v..+8v

BMX I think you are best off looking on either ebay or amazon for a replacement charger, of if you need one RIGHT NOW you are best of going to a radio shack or the like and taking either the laptop or the charger and getting a 3rd party replacement.

BMX I think you are best off looking on either ebay or amazon for a replacement charger, of if you need one RIGHT NOW you are best of going to a radio shack or the like and taking either the laptop or the charger and getting a 3rd party replacement.
+1 on that.

Dell chargers are not too badly priced. I have to order a few of these for my clients due to thier inablilty to order one for themselves.

I just made my own lmao.

sorry I would have replied sooner but the idiots at verizon screwed up our fios, i just got the internet back on, its been off for two days now.

Update on the dell tho:

I used an old fan connector and took a razor blade and trimmed it up to fit in the charging port on the back, then took the wires and tried them on the charger for my gateway, and next thing you know the charging light came on.

so i went to radioshack and got 2 male and female connectors, put a female on the end that went to the dell, chopped the cord that goes to my gateway in half, and on the part that goes to the gateway put a female, then on the part that goes to the charger put a male. so whatever laptop im using i just hook my charger up to it (well the gateway always needs one, it has a bad battery, dell has a good one)

next task, will be posted in a new topic cause it will get very long. I have a hard drive for it, but its locked. there is ways around it, I have done it before, but you need to connect it directly to a pc's motherboard, and i dont have a desktop atm or an adapter. So i need to boot the dell to an operating system that can run a win32 application and i can unlock the hdd, problem being: bartPE will not run programs correctly, windows will not install to my flash drive (i get a 7b error when i reboot). I am considering on figuring out a network boot, or just make an image of the harddrive on my gateway since it has basically the same hardware, have it make a ramdisk with the ram in the dell, and make my own full live cd, not the half-assed crap that bartpe makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom