About to upgrade my computer again and build my mom a new pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RockMan-

Banned
Hey, I am going to be upgrading my computer again....
My mother dell has finally out lived it's use, it still works perfectly it's just the socket 478 celeron and mother board is just getting slower...
I talked with her this morning and see wants to spend 600 dollars on a new dell ? I told her that I will take her dell computer case and rebuild it into something a lot better than what she has now.
I will be giving her my motherboard, ram, and cpu all she would need now is a good 400 watt PSU which I'll get off of ebay.com

She doesn't do much with her current setup except office documents, watch youtube surf the internet and upload pictures to her HDD.
Would my current motherboard and cpu benefit her needs ?
The motherboard is very quick and celeron dual core hardly lags not unless I am dong hard multitasking.

If you guys agree that I should give her my parts, she would owe me about 145 dollars for new parts for my computer.

Here is what I'll get:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

She wants me to sell her old motherboard and cpu, I told her the current price for both these would be less the 50.00 also I would put a add in the newspaper yet again and sell it to somebody who needs it.

Basically my budget will be under 150.00 does anybody else have any other opinions on the parts, and no I am not going to use AMD.

First off, what kind of motherboard do you have? Does it have onboard video? "Foxconn motherboard" doesn't really tell me much. Your rig should work fine for her if it has onboard video.

As for you, the G31 is an okay board, but I think it's a waste of money, personally. If you could throw any money into the budget, you should pick out a better board.

Hmm, I looked at both of those motherboards philbar, both of them are full atx mobo.
My current case 4 slots in them I tried putting in a normal atx mobo and it had scraped the insides of my case.
So a ATX board is out of the question, but what about this moto here:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Also if I give her my celeron e1400, I will need to get that pentium e5200 plus ram.
I still have my old e1200, but I don't know if it will boot up it's been about 6 months since I have touched it.
If it works on my current mobo she can have it, if not I'll be buying a new cpu.

just dont even worry with those old celery CPU's for your self, get the e5200 and you will be awed by it. and you might want to get a bigger case, your upgrade options are limited.

if you dont mind a nvidia 7100 board,

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7100 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

or if you dont mind paying $120 for this board,

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EG45M-UD2H LGA 775 Intel G45 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

or you could go with the G41 board you linked

Thank you philbar for your help.

This is what I'll use for my new build

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

The e5200 wolfdale, how does this cpu stand up to normal core 2 duo cpu's ?
I know the current pentium dual cores are good, but do they rival it's current big brothers ?

The 2gb of DDR2-800, my 2 old hdd's and my other sata drives.
I plan on keeping my case for awhile, the reason why I keep using new gateway barebone cases because some of them are quite strong and "SOME" of them look good like my current one and BTX case gateway is currently using.

If my mom agree's on keeping my parts and giving me 150 bucks then I will likely buy the new parts in the middle of june.

Currently I am working for a non profit orgranization doing some minor technical work currently they want me to build them a nice small site with some video and multimedia content.
Atleast I'll have a part time job for the mean time until I go back to my real job this november I hope....

The E5200 overclocks like a beast, which is why I was suggesting a better board than the G31. ;) I would only really recommend a P43/P45 board, but it's up to you. The G41 should be alright.

I would go for the g41, it's a good enough board and should suit your needs fine. It's also one of the newer series of chipsets so it supports wolfdales out of the box which should let you avoid any compatibility problems.

The e5200 is basically a Core 2 duo with less cache and a slightly slower fsb. Because of that it isn't quite as fast as the higher end Core 2's but it still has good performance.

The e5200 is a great chip. Runs cool, uses little power and OCs well. if you aren't into overclocking than a G41 will fit your needs fine. There isn't much point in getting more mobo than you need when you are on such a small budget.

I would really consider getting a better case. A good case will last you years and over several builds. I would check the Recommended Components 2.0 list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom