OC Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzuShika

Solid State Member
Ok, so I'm atempting to overclock my system and failing miserably D:
Here's my specs: http://i43.tinypic.com/k0k7qo.jpg
I tried to overclock the CPU first by adding 5MHz but when I ran prime it failed. something about the rounding being to high. So i'm guessing that maybe I have to do something with my RAM or Graphics card as well?
Cheers.

I use to have that chip a while back..Not much use in tring to overclock it!!
Its already setting at almost max for that chip at stock now!!

Are you using the stock heatsink? Are you monitoring your temps and if so what are they at idle and load (or at the failing point). You should reduce your cpu/dram ratio to start with. As you increase the cpu speed the memory speed is also increased, and your memory will usually crash 1st. You'll also need to increase your cpu voltage, but you shouldn't have to for just 5Mhz. Hopefully a AMD expert will help you soon :D

That chip doesn't overclock all that well, like Asylum said...but you should be able to OC it at least a little.

Are you doing it through the BIOS?

Yeah, I am doing it through the BIOS though I only know how to increase the CPU MHz and voltage. I don't dare touch the RAM cuz it all looks confusing and I don't wanna screw it up :S

yup, i had that chip before, best i could do was 3.33 or so, and it wasnt prime stable, just used for a few benchmarks.

if ya got a few bucks laying around, an x2 7750 would not only run cooler, but you would be able to clock it to 3.3-3.6 depending your luck. its also a lil faster clock-per-clock, but this would only be a small upgrade and may not be worth it if you cant sell your 6400.

since all four of your memory slots are occupied, that limits your OC due to additional MB overheads....chances are you wont be able to oc much at all because of your 8GB RAM

Hmm, then I could try running 6GB of RAM?
How hard is it to overclock graphics cards and/or RAM or is it not really worth it?

just run 2x 2gb sticks (4gb total)

but still, your not going to get a really good overclock on that chip.

ya, todays video cards can overclock pretty well and most of the software to do it with is fairly easy.

overclocking my 4770 gives me about 10-15fps boost

What sort of software could you recomend to oc my graphics cards then?
Hmm...looks like I've got a bit of saving to do for a new chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom