Few quick questions for building my first setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

HideAwayNerd

Beta member
I've been browsing around the forums a bit recently, and was wondering on a few questions that I haven't found yet. I plan on building my own PC for gaming (WoW for now, D3 later, maybe some inbetweeners, maybe some movies, not sure what else really, mostly for WoW etc.) and although I am not completely illiterate in the lingo of computers, there are some things I have a few quesitons on.

1. Dual Core vs. Quad Core: Currently, as it stands, I hear dual core is more optimal for gaming, as most games won't be able to take advantage of all four cores. So, would it be wiser to go with a beefed up dual core (E8500 area, definitely ~3.0+GHz cores)? Or how long is it going to be until quad cores are going to be used by games? If it is going to be over the next few years, would it be smarter to just go with the quad now? I'm going to be a sphmr next semester in college, so having this last me for the next several years would be highly awesome. Off topic but...i7? no idea on what it is, but i hear everyone on here talking about it. What is it?

2. DDR2 vs. DDR3: Again, how much better is the DDR3? I also need a mobo that is going to be able to use the DDR3, correct? Is it better to go with the DDR3 straight away? How much of a difference is there?

3. Again, Mobo: I have no idea on anything with these, so anything you can provide would be awesome. All the numbers just confuse the **** out of me lol (like I said, not illiterate, but no pro either).

4. Video Cards: Are the GTX's going to just be paying for power I won't use? Running things like WoW etc. on say...a 22" monitor (I hear if you go 24"+ you start to need some real beastly vid cards, like running two at once with crossfire etc.), or will it be worth it in the long haul?

That's all I can think of right now, looks like a lot tho lol.

This is what I was thinking of running currently as it stands (price not figured out yet)

- Intel dual core processor (3.0+GHz)
- Nvidia Geforce 9800 or better, depending on price (cost vs. use)
- 4GB DDR3 RAM (unless DDR2 is going to be wiser)
- 22" monitor (1680 x 1050 Res.; Samsung, are there better brands?)
- Not sure on Mobo, like I said, confuses me :(
- would a 650W power supply be good? I see everyone recommending the corsair TX, so it seems logical
- 1TB 7200RPM seagate
- Antec 900 case (excessive? or just right?)

I can provide links to newegg if necessary, but those are the main things I was worried about, so if anyone could just give me a heads up on mobo info etc. The rest I pretty much got down, but if there's anything you'd recommend or advise, lemme know, just need those few things cleared up. THANKS :D

while only a few games can take advantage of all four cores right now, but they are quickly moving to multi thread. so a quad would be more future proof for sure, and certainly speeds up an x64 inviromental OS

The i7, is a quad core with hyper threading...essentially it has 8 "cores" four physical and four logical. and has 8 processing threads.

DDR3 really shines at 1600mhz over DDR2, until then it doesn't really make a difference....but DDR3 is a bit more expensive.........

lol Mobo's are either socket 775 for dual and quad core intel processors, or 1366 for the i7.....AMD is socket AM2 and AM2+ for the phenom series processors......

lol if you get a GTX200 series card you'll want to play other games than wow as well.....hahaha otherwise the card you have up there would work fine

the antec 900 is a great case too

i might suggest spending a few more bucks and going quad core, as for motherboards this one is pretty good
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
and supports sup to 1366mhz DDR2 which is nice over the 800mhz

also this build wont be able to play WoW on ultra settings, but all high for sure

would a lower GHz quad core be better than a higher GHz dual core?

What would I be needin to run WoW on max? And is there going to be a massive difference between high and ultra?

Edit: Forget the WoW on max, I really could care less now that I think about it. But what would you think would be the average FPS for a setup like this?

I just want it to be stable, probably have to turn down the spell details but other then that I want it to be very sexah. Running on 800x600 so I can tolerate the awesome FPS of ~10 when i used to play on this, so just about anything will be an upgrade I think lol.

oh hahaha well i'm running i7 with SLI GTX260's and at 1920x1080 i get 26fps on ultra settings....although i don't really see a difference between that and high...lol a quad core around 2.6ghz would be about the same as the dual @ 3.0....but with either of those the processor wont be the bottleneck in games, it will be the ram or the gfx

I would stick with a dual core, since a quad in that price range isn't worth it anyway...with intel at least. The new Q6600's aren't very good at all, while the Q8xxx series is a bundle of fail as well most of the time. At that price range, the E8500 is great. Overclocks like a beast, too.

well if you could spend a bit more moneys on this CPU it would def be worth it,

Newegg.com - Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

and the 9800GT is old, i recomend getting a GTS 250 or better. but the 9800GT would be fine just for wow.

Newegg.com - XFX GS250XYDFC GeForce GTS 250 512MB Core Edition 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

EDIT: here is a good article explaning how quad cores are really starting to be used in games and stuf.

How Many CPU Cores Do You Need? : Are We There Yet? - Review Tom's Hardware

Its not bad.. but you can do better..

Drop the 9800GT for the newly released HD 4770; a good bit faster, smaller GPU Die (lower heat production and a better OC'er)

Change your RAM to this: Newegg.com - OCZ NVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Maybe a Coolermaster 690/Antec 300 (with some upgraded fans) over the Antec 900 (the case should be personal preference though)

Also, you have no motherboard listed..

Maybe consider this:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

The Phenom II x3 720 + Biostar 790GX combo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom