Computer reboots randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnico88

In Runtime
It used to happen every once in a while but now it became more frequent and it happens everyday. I am pretty sure it's not the OS since I reformatted a few times. Here is what I have done so far:

-Upgraded BIOS to latest
-Upgraded Latest Drivers and Windows Updates
-Replaced PSU about 2 months ago
-Ran Spindisk, WD Utility and other HDD checkups- all came out clean
-Ran MemTest for a few hours and RAM came out clean
-Reformatted OS a few times within the last 2 months

If anybody can give me a hand with this I would really appreciate it.

are there any errors before it reboots, or just a simple reboot for no reason.

Here's some questions people never consider:

1.) Are you using a Power Strip? If yes, is it new or old.
2.) Are you using a UPS back-up?
3.) Have you tried moving the PC to another wall outlet and running it on a different outlet?
4.) Have you considered that your having brownouts?

I have seen people tear their PC's apart and spend hours / days trying to troubleshoot issues like this. They finally realize that the power strip they are using is bad, the ups they are using is bad, the circuit they are on is bad, the outet they are using is bad.

(Rule it out.)

are there any errors before it reboots, or just a simple reboot for no reason.

No errors, this isn't a regular reboot, the whole system resets without any warnings or a proper shutdown. I tried to dig through Vista's error report but I can't see anything except that the PC was shut down unexpectedly. I am pretty sure at this point that it's not caused by the OS. And I don't have a spare mobo to just pop in.

Here's some questions people never consider:

1.) Are you using a Power Strip? If yes, is it new or old.
2.) Are you using a UPS back-up?
3.) Have you tried moving the PC to another wall outlet and running it on a different outlet?
4.) Have you considered that your having brownouts?

I have seen people tear their PC's apart and spend hours / days trying to troubleshoot issues like this. They finally realize that the power strip they are using is bad, the ups they are using is bad, the circuit they are on is bad, the outet they are using is bad.

(Rule it out.)

Yeah, I am using an old powerstrip with no UPS. I will get a new one and report back if it still happens.

How about cpu and gpu temps as well?

Does it normally happen under load or while doing a particular task or is it completely random?

1st and foremost m8 do yourself a favour get a cd or dvd blank download a copy of ubuntu or kubuntu or any of those live linux disks.

Load it

leave it to run on the machine from the disk - this will either work or reboot,
if it reboots you have found out it aint your hdd and probly not your memory
or power.

Linux runs very few resources from your hardware and therfore should run sweet and as your running from a cd or dvd drive your not using your hdd

next see if you have the ability to knock down you fsb (mhz ram) ie from 1gb ddr 400mhz to 333mhz

i say this becose i have a nf2 nvidia board and i run at 333 if i run at 400 it shuts down randomly.

@ HAVOC

It could very well be the powerstrip, I looked it up and I was using one manufactured in 1993. I popped in a newer one from 2008. So far so good, but I think I fixed the problem, although I can't be 100% sure.

@Hefemeister

Sometimes it will happen right after boot, sometimes 5 hours after boot, it is completely random, and if it was the powerstrip it completely makes sense.

let us know if HAVOC hit the nail on the head, and the new power strip solves your problems.

and then, give HAVOC a big slurpy kiss on the lips, he likes those.

okies good luck and mnaybe if it doesnt work try a copy of windows 7 that issue i habve triedd to fix for two years justsolved itselfd now runnin my board full spec and smoothly too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom