i7 - Do i need to push down on the cover firmly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nope no plastic cover! we even had to remove it once while building it! and the paste was on the cpu too...hmmm.....maybe i should just go out and buy an aftermarket cooler?

wait....could bad wire management effect it? like i just wanted to check if all the parts were ok before i did anything! so they might result in bad airflow right?

nope no plastic cover! we even had to remove it once while building it! and the paste was on the cpu too...hmmm.....maybe i should just go out and buy an aftermarket cooler?

wait....could bad wire management effect it? like i just wanted to check if all the parts were ok before i did anything! so they might result in bad airflow right?

bad wire management is a few degrees, not 40-50 degrees, at idle you should be between 30-40C imo. 90C + a steak = your neighbors come over for dinner, and ya, they will bring the beer.

back on topic, how much paste did you apply and what kind of paste did you use.

Bad wire management can effect air flow a little bit but its not going to cause your cpu to idle at 90C. That is definitely something wrong with the heatsink mounting. Even if the fan wasn't running on your heatsink, I think the temp would be lower.

A couple of ideas.

a.) Stock cooler had a thermal pad on it. You used it. Not nearly as good as something like AS5.
Arctic Silver Incorporated - Arctic Silver 5.

b.) But, that really shouldn't give you those temps . Double check and make sure you ahve the cooler properly installed on the motherboard. Those temps are a classic sign of the cooler not making proper contact with the CPU.

Thanks for the replies chaps!

i went ahead and ordered the coolmaster v8, so hopefully that should sort the problem out! so until then the comp is just sitting there....it hurts me inside :(

how would i go about cleaning the thermal paste off the cooler and the cpu? ive heard u could rubbing alchohol....but i dont even know where to get that stuff! could i just use normal alcohol and use a cotton bud or something?

oh wait i forgot! maybe it could be that the fan direction is reversed? perhaps? i dont know how that would happen....but maybe its blowing on the cpu...instead of drawing the heat away?

Okay, by the way you are wording things it makes it sound like you applied some paste along with the pre-applied paste. Is this true? I can't really tell or not, but you're wording makes it seem that way. If so...don't do that. It doesn't take very much paste. Fan direction, wire management, etc wouldn't cause a 90C idle. Heatsink wasn't installed properly, way to much thermal paste, or maybe you didn't plug your heatsink's fan in? Mine has a cord you have to plug into the motherboard(not to sure how many are like this though)

oh! im sorry if i made it sound like that!

no i didnt add anything to pre-applied paste. i think it must just be that the heatsink isnt seated properly because its working, and the bios says its running at 1285 rpm.

ive got the new heatsink coming in on monday/tuesday next week so...hopefully that should sort out the problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom