What do you do with your second PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erebus

Baseband Member
Some people have 2, 3, maybe even 4 computers to themselves. I personally built my only computer a couple of years ago and am about to make a new build. But since the computer is dated by today's standards, I'd be lucky to get $250 for it. So I've been thinking about keeping it around. I just don't know what I'll use it for yet. So those who do have more than one computer, what do you use it for? Maybe I can steal some of your ideas. :)

Plenty of uses I can think off right off the Bat..

If you use VOIP Type Phone like MagicJack or Vonage, use that rig for the phone so you don't have to waste your main's RAM :D

You could learn something like the different flavors of Linux

Start messing around with Spyware and stuff, find your own to get rid of it, and if you screw up, you don't lose vital stuff ( My friend has a comp where he tries to duplicate the virus on his computer, and when he fixes his customer's computer, he'll do trial and error on the screwed up PC)

Create a hardware firewall for your Router or a File Server

A million things. like everyone said before, I use my old hardware as a testing ground for different things. Improving my OC skillz, testing new OS's. i also give a lot of old machines to family members. Every PC in my house was my main rig at one point in time.

One thing I don't use them for is folding. For several reaosns, most being practical ones. The AC has been out in this house for a few years, and I would be nuts to have multiple machines running 24/7 folding. The second is the electricity bill, I imagine that would jump, then there is cost, I only have the cash to buy a good system for my primary use, I can't build several others for folding.

file server
mess around with the registry on xp for example
folding
workstation in a different room
torrent box
htpc

something i have always wanted to do, see how fast you can completely corrupt a computer to the point where it is useless (obviously until you reformat it)

Mine get handed down to other people. My mom and my wife both have my old computers. If/when I ever get to upgrade, my wife will take this one to replace her current one. That computer will then be given to someone else who needs it.

Yeah, I actually gave my first computer (a Compaq before I built my first) to my dad. Still not sure what to do with this comp though because I don't fold or any of the other stuff you guys mentioned. I guess it'll be nice just to have one around, knowing it's there if I ever have trouble booting up my comp or whatever and need to post on these forums for help.

It's nice to have a spare for testing parts. I've only got my first build still, and it was frustrating not having spare parts to test for the problem (a DOA mobo).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom