First time PC build + cooling questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyllus

Solid State Member
Hey guys, this is my first time building a PC.
It will be used for gaming, music, video, browsing, etc.

It would be great however if some of you would have a quick look over it and check that it looks alright and i'm getting the best possible parts for the money. I know there isn't a motherboard there yet, but i'm havn't completley decided on the Processor yet (might go with AMD), so no point choosing a motherboard till i'm certain.

Here is my build so far minus motherboard, monitor, keboard/mouse and CD/DVD drive.

Processor - Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz
Graphics - Sapphire HD4870 1GB
Memory - Corsiar XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) 800MHz/PC2-6400
Hardrive - Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
Power Supply - Corsair HX series 520W modular
Case - Antec Nine Hundred

Thanks for reading this far.

I also have a few questions about cooling if thats ok.

1. I have heard that the 4870 runs pretty hot (80oC+). Would it be a good idea to buy an aftermarket cooler of some kind? I want to get the longest life possible out of my PC so really I want everything to run as cool as possible.
The problem though is I also want to keep the PC quiet, so increasing the fan speed to deafening levels isn't really an option which is why I i've been looking into aftermarket cooling. Other than that, is there really any other way I can keep the card cooler? (watercooling is too expensive and I don't believe is necessary)
I WON'T BE DOING ANY OVERCLOCKING. Not yet anyway...

2. Same question but for the Processor.

3. Would it be a good idea to replace and/or add more fans to the case to improve cooling?

Thanks for your time.

if your not overclocking then there is no point in buying aftermarket cooling. as for your build what is your budget? the parts you have chosen are old. if you tell me your budget i could make a nice build for you

Well if you not overclocking you wont need a cooler on either component, but we do need a budget as kobe said. Video cards are made to run hot, and wit hte 4870 it is a common temp, you have to manually change the fan speed on your comp. and it drastically chnages temps down alot, from a fan speed of literally like 25% to 30%.

I would recommend a larger Power Supply due to the fact that when you decide to upgrade, say, your video card down the line, it will probably take a larger PSU. The nVidia 280 GTX takes a minimum of 575W PSU for example.

You need to decide on AMD or INTEL also.
We cant recommend anything till we know what you want!!
we should decided whats best for him when he gives us his budget. IE there not really much point of going intel for a budget of about 600 or so, thats amd terrain now.

I would recommend a larger Power Supply due to the fact that when you decide to upgrade, say, your video card down the line, it will probably take a larger PSU. The nVidia 280 GTX takes a minimum of 575W PSU for example.
They really overcompensate a lot for that to back themselves up for the guys who have dodgy supplies with bad efficiency. I am running a gtx285 and i7 920 on a 550w seasonic quality psu right now.

Thanks for the replys guys and sorry for not stating it earlier but my budget is £1000 including new monitor, mouse keyboard and OS. Also i have decided to go Intel.

So basically £1000 for the following stuff, which equates to about $1500-$2000, although goods in the US seem to be priced cheaper than in the UK so i'm not sure how accurate that works out.

Processor
Motherboard
RAM
Hard Drive
Graphics Card
CD/DVD Drive
Power Supply
Case
Monitor
Mouse & Keyboard
Operating System

Im using mainly scan.co.uk, ebuyer.com and overclockers.co.uk to shop for stuff.

They really overcompensate a lot for that to back themselves up for the guys who have dodgy supplies with bad efficiency. I am running a gtx285 and i7 920 on a 550w seasonic quality psu right now.

Well this is at least good to know so my 550W Antec should support my Phenom II X4 and my 280 GTX just fine. Thanks for clarifying :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom