Hard disks partition sequence changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpk2006

Beta member
Hi,

I recently added a new 40 GB Harddisk. Now my system has two
hard disks, one of 40 GB and the other of 20 GB.

In my new hard disk I have a primary partition containing Windows 98
and another partition contains Windows XP, both on FAT32 filesystem.

What I am noticing that when I open "My Computer", the names and
order of partitions on both drives is changing. And because of
this the programs have problems in running, becuase the path changes.

I opened my cabinet and found that the two hard disks are connected
in parallel to each other using the same cable.

What should I do? Is it connected correct?

There is this program called PartitionMagic and you can do almost anything with your HDDs with it. It even checks for sequesnce errors I believe. Try it out. A good person to ask would be a guy named TheMajor, he is a PartitionMagic genius. PM him if you need help with it or just ask any of us.

-Dan The Man

Here's what sounds like happened to your system from what you have described.
You had originally one HDD and a cdrom, which were "c" and "d". When you added the second drive containing 2 partitions windows more than likely moved your cdrom to "f". this would be bad if you had any programs that required a cd to be read from the "d" drive. (cdrom) alot of times software won't search the other drives for those cd's but will insist that you put the cd in the drive the software was loaded from, even if the drive letter doesn't belong to a cdrom drive anymore.

So now I'm guessing your system looks somthing like this:
OS drive/primary drive = C
1st partition on secondary drive = D
2nd partition on secodn drive = E
cdrom = F
and so on if needed.

what you need to do is change your drive letters in windows, which isn't a very hard operation, but the path to do this is different depending on what OS you are running.

You mentioned XP and 98, so which one is the OS you are using ATM? in xp you can change the drive letters by right clicking on the "my computer" icon, goto manage (computer management),
disk management. Here you can change the drive letters to whatever you wish. BE VERY CAREFUL not to change you OS drive letter! :)

if you are using 98... well upgrade to XP man! ;-)

LoTeX said:
generally and preferably hds should be put on separate cables as a primary drive to ensure max performance

Sorry Lotex, but I can't totally agree with you on this one. Alot of systems only have one channel that supports ata100/133, or only have 1 ata100/133 cable in them. by putting your second drive(if it is ata 100/133 capable) on a channel or cable thats only ata 33/66 you are downgrading the performance of that drive. Of course putting a HDD thats only ata33/66 capable on a ata100/133 connection will downgrade the channel perfomance as well.

So the moral of the story is to know your drive/controller capabilities!

mostly u won't be able to change your OS driveletter...I suggest u download PartitionMagic and run the tool "DriveMapper" wich is included. First check to wich drive your faulty shortcuts and apps are referring to, maybe u can remember wich driveletters u had before..then run drivemapper and replace for example D: with F:.
u can also do a google for these kind of programs, because partitionmagic isn't freeware

Blueman said:
Sorry Lotex, but I can't totally agree with you on this one. Alot of systems only have one channel that supports ata100/133, or only have 1 ata100/133 cable in them. by putting your second drive(if it is ata 100/133 capable) on a channel or cable thats only ata 33/66 you are downgrading the performance of that drive. Of course putting a HDD thats only ata33/66 capable on a ata100/133 connection will downgrade the channel perfomance as well.

So the moral of the story is to know your drive/controller capabilities!

ur right, man in Blue. but my mobo got 2 ata66 ide ports.;)

and then we got these raid systems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom