CPU Temps on my laptop - some questions, quite urgent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowsurfer

El Mágico
Hey guys,

As some of you may know, I recently had an HD die on my (quite beloved) Dell XPS 1330. I just got my new HD yesterday, installed it, recovered my docs and PST from the failed drive (couldn't clone finally, boot partition on the old one seemed OK when connected to my desktop, but fully died when I tried to clone), but as I always move my user folder (My Documents, etc), as well as all the Outlook files and PST, to another partition, I managed to get everything back. [Note to everyone to do this: when HDs die if you have partitioned them VERY frequently the secondary (non boot) partitions will very probably be perfectly OK even if there are bad sectors on the boot partition and whatnot. If you keep the "username" folders and the PST on separate partitions you will most likely be able to recover fully, even if you do not have regular backups.]

I am now stress testing the laptop since it is my main tool while working abroad, and since my special Dell extended 24h worldwide warranty has expired, and I have an event in Qatar in early June, I really want to put it through its paces before I decide to trust it.

I just got myself the latest version of Prime95 and Core Temp for the task.

The CPU on my XPS 1330 is a T8300 Penryn (Santa Rosa platform) @ 2.40GHz for each of the two cores.

These are my (rather worrying) findings:

When the energy profile is set to max performance, my core temperatures at idle are around 55ºC. The lowest temp on startup is 49ºC. But when I stress it with Prime95, the cores go up to 98ºC for core 0 and 102ºC for core 1. When the fan (audibly) kicks in, it hardly seems to lower the temps at all.

Performing the same stress test at "economic" setting in power savings gets me max core temps of 70ºC or so. The cores are blocked at 1.2Ghz in this setting.

Anyway, what do you guys think about this? 102ºC for one of the cores seem crazy! 70ºC on half the regular frequency also seems FUBAR.

Wow that is crazy o_O Have you considered getting a laptop cooling pad? Also how hot is the room you tend to use it in?

My home office room, in which I am sitting right now testing, is currently at around or a bit below 20ºC. The bottom part of the laptop itself gets somewhat hot from time to time since purchase, but never as much as to be impossible to bear if I have it on my knees or chest in the bed. The keyboard part itself never seems to warm, whatever I may be doing. Max 40 Celsius, maybe 45, I'd say. I am starting to wonder whether it could be the sensors or something, surely there would be a BSOD or something at 102ºC....

EDIT: Just wanted to add that it seems that the laptop is perfectly stable while stress testing and with those CPU temperatures reported in Core Temp. I can fire up any other app and it works OK. :/

when was the last time you cleaned out the dust from the Heat Sink & Fan?

Have you tried facing your BIOS? I have seen some motherboard record crazy temps on the past?
Are you sure that is reading at Celsius and not Fahrenheit?

when was the last time you cleaned out the dust from the Heat Sink & Fan?

Have you tried facing your BIOS? I have seen some motherboard record crazy temps on the past?
Are you sure that is reading at Celsius and not Fahrenheit?

I don't really understand what you mean with "facing my BIOS". I am very sure the readings are Celsius (triple checked, 50ish F at idle would actually be quite impossible with my current room temp anyway). I have never cleaned the dust thoroughly, but I have blown compressed air on the setup every time I've opened the laptop.

Its a laptop....laptops run hot.

Also, prime will stress a laptop far past normal usage temps.

I am well aware of that, but 100ºC+ just seems way out of hand....

I don't really understand what you mean with "facing my BIOS". I am very sure the readings are Celsius (triple checked, 50ish F at idle would actually be quite impossible with my current room temp anyway). I have never cleaned the dust thoroughly, but I have blown compressed air on the setup every time I've opened the laptop.

Sorry. Facing = Flashing.

Sorry. I got the flu right now and my seplling msitake are higher than normal.

I have never cleaned the dust thoroughly, but I have blown compressed air on the setup every time I've opened the laptop.
It might not be a bad idea. Also you might want to reapply some thermal paste.

Sorry. Facing = Flashing.

Sorry. I got the flu right now and my seplling msitake are higher than normal.

No probs, I was just wondering :) BIOS is the latest release, I flashed it when reinstalling everything on the new HD.

I'll try to blow the dust again indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom