Power Supply, GPU, Monitor upgrades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightSurge

Fully Optimized
I am upgrading my GPU to the XFX HD 4890 1GB.
Newegg.com - XFX HD-489A-ZDEC Radeon HD 4890 Xtreme 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I have checked some benchmarks and the highest power usage I have seen was 305W at load, while the lowest power usage I have seen is about 250W at load. I have the following PSU. It does not say how many watts are reserved for the 12V rails, just how much max is used for the +5 and +3.3V, which is 140W.

Newegg.com - XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W 500W ATX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Power Supplies

Will my 500W PSU with 33A (2 rails) be able to handle this GPU at full load? If so then I will not be upgrading my PSU (thank heavens).

I am also getting the following monitor:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG ToC T220HD Rose Black 22" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1 Built in DTV Tuner & Dolby Digital Surround Speakers - LCD Monitors

The reason why I am getting this Monitor/HDTV is because I am going to sell my current monitor and want to use this in my bedroom with cable so I do not have to hook up a separate TV.

Let me know what you guys think about the choices and if my PSU will hold up. I'm pretty confident it will, but just wanted some more reassurance before I purchased.

Well for the power supply the best way to find out is to try it. :)

I have the 24" of the model you are looking at sans speakers and I use for tv as well and I love it.

Newegg Preferred Account FTW!

Bah... I've been spending so much money lately... :p

After this I am going to replace my HDTV in the living room with a Vizio 47XVT in a few months. I'm never going to be able to save up money again..... ever since I got my new car I can't save up anymore... too many things to buy!

I would heartily recommend a Seasonic S12 550 PSU. After using them for years, and having many others (Corsairs included) fail on me, I have still to see a Seasonic fail. I think your PSU could hold up though (what's your CPU (sig one or something else), is it overclocked, and how many storage devices are you running off of it, btw?).

I would also suggest an S-IPS or S-PVA monitor instead of the TN one you list, but that depends exclusively on your budget.

CPU is in sig, OC'd from 2.8 to 3.22, and is a 65W CPU.
Only one hard drive.

I'm pretty sure it will have enough juice. If not I will be buying a more future proof PSU so I don't have to worry about not having enough Amps or Watts for upgrades.

Yeah, it should be enough if that is the case indeed. I am not familiar with that brand so I can't swear on the system stability, but it should be OK for the time being. It is an upgrade that I would recommend as soon as possible though.

your psu should be able to power it, but that brand isnt the best and would be careful. just make sure you dont add any more devices like hdd or cd drives.

There, I've done it. I made the purchase. Combined they just barely pushed me over $500 so I qualify for the 6 months no interest (which will help because there is a slight chance I may not get it paid off all on the first statement).

As a heads up, I will now have a 19" Acer monitor with one red dead pixel for sale and an Asus HD 4830 for sale within a few days.

I would want at least a quality 650w to power the HD4890 running a PSU at at or near 100% will certianly cause heat issues and rapid PSU failure, I'm not a fan of the xclio there protection circuits leave a lot to be desired. Seasonic, Pc Power & Cooling, Corsair, Thermaltake Toughpowers are good models

So you are saying you have experience with and know the capabilities of Xcilio power supplies? I would consider the Xcilio's 500W more reliable than Thermaltake's 500W from personal experience, but not based on any extensive testing. Regardless, even at full system load (CPU and GPU) I'll be only at about 400W max. If the system starts developing issues I will look for a PSU upgrade but from everything I've seen on the 500W Xcilio Good Power I should be more than safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom