New Budget gaming Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derfburger

Solid State Member
Not sure if this is the right place to post this since it's not truly a High Performance PC, but it is meant to be a bit more than average.

I am on a tight budget, and am trying to stay around $550.00 USD on this build. That is for everything except keyboard, mouse, and monitor (I use an acer 19" WS).

Please let me know any suggestion on improvements, tips, etc. you may have to help a budget gamer out.

The only part of this build I personally question is the PSU, but the reviews were overall excellent for this part.

Here we go :)

ALL FROM NE

Product Description

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22NP20 - OEM
Item #: N82E16827136144
Return Policy: 30 Day Return Policy
$22.99

Rosewill TU-155-P Black 0.8mm SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811147106
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$54.99
$10.00 Instant
$44.99

Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817182030
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$74.99
$20.00 Instant
$54.99

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116488
Return Policy: Software Return Policy

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822148395
$159.98 HD and OS
$20.00 Combo discount for HD and OS
$139.98

ASUS M4A78 Plus AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813131381
Return Policy: 30 Day Return Policy

AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition Kuma 2.8GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core Processor Model AD785ZWCGHBOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819103678 Combo
Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy
$153.99 Mobo and CPU
$5.00 Instant
$10.00 Combo discount for mobo and CPU
$138.99
. .
GIGABYTE GV-N98TOC-512I GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814125270
Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2F10664GK - Retail
Item #: N82E16820227364
Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy
$179.98 GPU and RAM
$12.00 Instant
$17.00 Combo discount for GPU and RAM
$150.98 Before MIR $10.00 Mail-in Rebate

Subtotal: $552.92
UPS Guaranteed 3 Day Service $0.00
Total = $552.92 Before MIR
$10.00 MIR
$542.92 Final Price after MIR

I appreciate any input thanks a bunch ;)

Edit: BTW lower $$$ is better too so money saving tips are appreciated :)

^^ +1 to this build. The 720 will be a much better investment than the 7850. I personally have that mobo/cpu combo, and trust me, you'll love it.

If he gets a Phenom, wouldn't it be better to get faster RAM like DDR2 1066?

Baron5 definitely put a nice system together there, I would go with his. And as he said, get Windows 7, don't spend the money on Vista.

OK thanks so much for the input so far it's been great. I will most likely go with something like Baron5's build, but I do have a couple more questions.

1. The Mobo from the Baron5 build lists only AM2 and AM2+ support however, the suggested Tri-Core processor is listed as an AM3 socket. Also there is no X3 or X4 processor support listed (would I still be able to upgrade to quad core later if I want?) I just want to be sure these are compatible (not questioning ya'll or anything just double checking).

2. The suggested Memory for this build is DDR2 800 (PC2 6400). My initial build suggested DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500). What kind of performance difference are we talking about here? Why 800 over 1066? I believe Slam'n commented on this.

3. I checked my previous build (that is currently down (GPU issues) and that this build will replace) for parts that may save me some $$ on this build. I really think the following is all I would want to use again. Do you think these parts will be OK for this build?

Case – Thermaltake SViking - 1 front intake 120mm fan and 1 back exhaust 120mm fan. Side window, Temp display, 2 fan controllers

PSU – Ultra X-Finity 500W PSU SLI ready – not modular, been in use for 2.5 years and has been rock solid. (Only real concern here is age. Does the age of the PSU affect the performance of a PSU a lot?)

DVD RW – I am at work so I can't remember the brand but it is SATA and 2.5 years old. I believe this should be ok as well – If not let me know 

4. I believe the Windows 7 RC is only good until August or so. Also I am not sure how I would get it on a clean install HD since it is a download? I do have a copy of 32 bit XP. Would this still be a valid OS for a gaming build (I really wanted to go to a 64 bit OS)?

5. Final question (sorry about all the questions I just want to make sure I am going in the right direction since I don't have a bunch of money to throw at this box ). Ubuntu….Is this a valid OS to use for gaming or is it impossible to get modern games to run on it?

Once again sorry for the long post and I really, really appreciate the input……

OK thanks so much for the input so far it's been great. I will most likely go with something like Baron5's build, but I do have a couple more questions.

1. The Mobo from the Baron5 build lists only AM2 and AM2+ support however, the suggested Tri-Core processor is listed as an AM3 socket. Also there is no X3 or X4 processor support listed (would I still be able to upgrade to quad core later if I want?) I just want to be sure these are compatible (not questioning ya'll or anything just double checking).

2. The suggested Memory for this build is DDR2 800 (PC2 6400). My initial build suggested DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500). What kind of performance difference are we talking about here? Why 800 over 1066? I believe Slam'n commented on this.

3. I checked my previous build (that is currently down (GPU issues) and that this build will replace) for parts that may save me some $$ on this build. I really think the following is all I would want to use again. Do you think these parts will be OK for this build?

Case – Thermaltake SViking - 1 front intake 120mm fan and 1 back exhaust 120mm fan. Side window, Temp display, 2 fan controllers

PSU – Ultra X-Finity 500W PSU SLI ready – not modular, been in use for 2.5 years and has been rock solid. (Only real concern here is age. Does the age of the PSU affect the performance of a PSU a lot?)

DVD RW – I am at work so I can't remember the brand but it is SATA and 2.5 years old. I believe this should be ok as well – If not let me know 

4. I believe the Windows 7 RC is only good until August or so. Also I am not sure how I would get it on a clean install HD since it is a download? I do have a copy of 32 bit XP. Would this still be a valid OS for a gaming build (I really wanted to go to a 64 bit OS)?

5. Final question (sorry about all the questions I just want to make sure I am going in the right direction since I don't have a bunch of money to throw at this box ). Ubuntu….Is this a valid OS to use for gaming or is it impossible to get modern games to run on it?

Once again sorry for the long post and I really, really appreciate the input……

Regarding your PSU, I just bought a BFG 280 GTX OCX Video Card and the minimum requirements state a minimum "575W Power Supply". Just letting you know, that if you plan on upgrading over the months (Which, lets face it, everybody does), then I would look at getting a 600+W PSU. I don't know how much money you are looking to spend but I know a lot of people with this PSU running crazy systems and they love it..
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Your DVD-RW should be fine, if it seems to be running/reading strong then you are good. Besides, they are cheap, like $22 anyways so if it ever goes bad, that is a quick fix.

Your Motherboard, not sure again how much money you want to spend but I just received my new Motherboard from UPS today and about to go rebuild my new system with it. It has great reviews and my past 2 motherboards have been from Gigabyte so I trust their quality. Again, if you have the money, I would recommend looking at this Mobo:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

It does support AM3 so it will support all the newest Phenom II processors :)

Windows 7 does not Expire in August of 09. In fact, here is a quote directly from the Microsoft website:

Watch the calendar. The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you'll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010.

If your Mobo supports 1066 (Which the mobo I shown you supports up to DDR2 1333 OC) and your CPU is, say, a Phenom II X4, then I would say the 1066 Ram would be the way to go. I just got Corsair DOMINATOR DDR2 1066 4 Gigs (2 x 2GB) for $60 after rebate. There are others there like Kingston for $54 + $6 S/H without rebates so you don't need to wait.

yes ddr2 is still fast enough for that amd cpu, but i would get ddr3 just so its last him a bit longer.

regarding your questions;
1) yes these cpu's are compatible, AM3 cpu will work on am2+ but am2+ will not work on am3 sockets, so yes you can upgrade to a quad if you want to.
2) Amd will benefit much more from tighter timings rather then speed, this is why ddr3 doesn't provide much improvement over ddr2, notice the ram i linked was 4-4-4-12, good tight timings which you should be able to tighten even more with that ram.
3) I would only use the case and the optical, not the psu as it sounds like is of poor quality.
4) You would have to download it and make your own cd with the iso that you download, its no hard, as far as i know its valid for a full year, but again you need a 64bit becuase 32 will not use all of your ram. Wit the money you save you could buy vista or xp 64bit
5) As far as i know gaming is not mainstream on linux, im not exactly sure what the drivers are like or game support so you may have to google that one. Or go to the OS seciton of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom