I'm Back and Building a New System :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slam'n Systems

Veteran Techist Member
Well, while my attention over the past few years faded from computers and focused on modifying cars in the performance aspect, I have come back to my computer to upgrade her again.

On a side note, I logon in the first time in over a year to find I have infractions and warnings about signature violations dating over a year ago, and even going into 2007. (All messages not read) so I hope my current signature is not in violation, I guess the rules have changed over the years or something and I probably came back for one post and then get reamed on.

Anywho, it is good to be back enjoying computers. When I fist signed up here, I was a whole 13 years old and now I am 20 and going to College for Networking. (Just starting, so I don't know much of anything ^_^) Since I have faded far from computer hardware for so long, I came back to find some amazing stuff on the market and although by no means is my newest setup the top of the line, but I find it to be a heck of a system for what it is worth.

My New Build:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Quad Core (Coming Soon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3 Motherboard
Video Card: BFG Tech 1GB 280 GTX OCX Edition
RAM: 4 GIGS Corsair DOMINATOR DDR2 1066
PSU: Antec 550W TruPower Trio

The Power Supply and the CPU are the next on the list to be changed. I am probably going to go with a 650W Corsair Power Supply and getting the Phenom 955 as stated above. For cooling I am still a firm believer in Fans so I have all of the fans in my Thermaltake Xaser II case going.

I think I may install Windows 7 Release Candidate when I build this system Friday to give it a try. I have heard some good things about it so if anyone has opinions, facts, comments about Windows 7, feel free to enlighten me as to whether or not I should install Windows 7 or stick with Windows XP Home. My old man just installed Windows 7 on his PC today.

Take Care!
-Kyle

I will definitely look at that CPU Heatsink. I got the 280 GTX OCX for $265 Shipped that has similar specs to that 285 so I am happy with what I bought there.

With the 64 Bit, the only reason I am hesitant on going with the 64 Bit Windows 7 is because I hear that some programs don't run with 64 bit. Will I be able to install my games on 64bit? (Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty...etc) Also, what about my Adobe Master Collection CS4? Microsoft Office 2007?

I know when I first got Vista, I got 32-bit because it seemed a lot of programs wasn't supporting 64 bit, so let me know what you guys think/know about that. I have been away from the details of computers for so long, I don't know much anymore. Haha

I run vista x64

On your list I can tell you that office 2003 runs fine so 2007 should b no problem.
Photoshop CS4 works great.
I have not had any issues with newer games on 64bit.

From the guys running the win7 beta I have not heard of any major programs with issues.
I have yet to get it up and running at them moment.

Thanks for the info. Downloading the 64bit Edition now :)

All my stuff is coming today from NewEgg so I should be up and running by tonight

64 bit win7 has ran just about any program i have. crysis/COD4/COD5 and L4D, GTA IV. so pretty much any thing that runs on 64 bit vista or XP will run on win7

Well just to let you guys know I am on my 3rd day and it is running great!

Was difficulty finding an anti-virus program that worked but I am using the McAfee Beta that is good till December 31st.

Besides that, the system is running strong, all my games are running EXTREMELY smooth but the only problem is Ventrilo sometimes lags?? I downloaded the 64-bit edition but when I do push to talk sometimes theres a 2 second delay which is kinda weird but other then that, absolutely no regrets.

Just ordered a new DVD Burner and later down the line I will pick up the Phenom II X4 940.

-Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom