*The Official Tech-Forums Super Pi 1M Rankings*

Re: Tech Forums Official SuperPi 1M Top List

I'm not sure I will be able to get much more from this cpu but I can't complain about getting a 1.4ghz overclock. Since superpi is so cache dependent only having 1mb of L2 cache is really holding it back.

superpicropped.jpg

Well...tried pushing my overclock again. These are the results.

Stock cooler is really the only thing holding me back right now.

A better HSF really won't make you more stable, it will only lower your temps. As long as you are under the max safe the HSF wont effect stability.

I could do 3.8 on stock cooling (bad idea though) so a <1Ghz OC isn't that impressive.

Where are you getting a less than <1Ghz overclock...? The 720 is 2.8 at stock there, mate. So my overclock is over 1100mhz...

And I've already proved that lowering my temps allowed me to push my overclock farther. When I was in a hotter room, couldn't get 3.9, now I can get past that...in a slightly colder environment.

So yeah, a better HSF will make things more stable for me BECAUSE it will lower temps. Seeing as the only reason 3.6 or 3.7 isn't workable for 24/7 is because of the high load temps.

A better HSF really won't make you more stable, it will only lower your temps. As long as you are under the max safe the HSF wont effect stability.

I have to Strongly Disagree. Lowering your Temps is the Best way to improve Stability and Efficiency. And a Good, High Quality Heatsink is one of the best ways to lower your temps.

Where are you getting a less than <1Ghz overclock...? The 720 is 2.8 at stock there, mate. So my overclock is over 1100mhz...

My bad, I thought the chip was clocked higher at stock.

And I've already proved that lowering my temps allowed me to push my overclock farther. When I was in a hotter room, couldn't get 3.9, now I can get past that...in a slightly colder environment.

So yeah, a better HSF will make things more stable for me BECAUSE it will lower temps. Seeing as the only reason 3.6 or 3.7 isn't workable for 24/7 is because of the high load temps.

A 5 degree difference isn't going to determine you max OC on air. On things like Water and higher up it does effect things, but as long as you are in the safe zone it shouldn't matter. Now, if you are hitting in the 60s and 70s then it makes a difference, but between 40c and 45c, or even in the 50s the cpu should be solid as a rock. That;s why I didn't go any higher on stock cooling with me e7200. I was getting in the 60s all the time.

I'm getting in the 50s at bare idle with over 3.9ghz...at my old place, I was getting in the 60s.

The few degree difference made enough difference to get my max OC, I would assume a decent HSF with good compound, it would be easy to drop my temps 15-20c at least, seeing how crappy the AMD stock heatsinks are.

So yes, it would help just fine. I know I'll be able to break at least 4ghz, since my main problem, as I have proven, is temps. The board can handle more voltage, I just know it would not be a good idea with the stock HSF.

A 5 degree difference isn't going to determine you max OC on air. On things like Water and higher up it does effect things, but as long as you are in the safe zone it shouldn't matter. Now, if you are hitting in the 60s and 70s then it makes a difference, but between 40c and 45c, or even in the 50s the cpu should be solid as a rock. That;s why I didn't go any higher on stock cooling with me e7200. I was getting in the 60s all the time.

My system is presently cooled by air and 5 degrees makes a tremendous difference in overclocking. Your statement is actually 180 degrees out of sync.

if heatsinks didnt help overclock, why would people get water cooling?
and why are most of the WC's done on something even better than water cooling.

heat makes alot of difference in not just pc's but in alot of electroinics.
good counters to heat help you get the most out of your electronics.

we we all know that amd's heat sinks are not the greatest by any shot.

even though hik may have seemed to push the limits pretty far with his 720, im sure better temps will let him squeeze out a lil more powa!

hmm, i wonder how high i can push my q9300 on stock cooling? i bet i could get it to 4GHz :D

Zmatt didn't say temps don't matter, he said that a few degrees difference in temps has a negligible effect on stability which is very different.

Water cooling not to mention ln2 and DICE give you far larger differences in temps, in excess of 100c for extreme cooling which will obviously have an effect.

A 51mhz increase hardly proves that a few c drop in temperature will improve your stability. That minor difference could easily be the result of a single setting being slightly different

Back
Top Bottom