Is this the correct cmos battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
I recently replaced my cmos battery on one of my motherboards because the date/time kept changing. I've read this is often because the cmos battery was old. But the date/time still changes on me.

The old coin battery was marked cr2032 3V so I bought a sony lithium cr2032 coin battery as replacement. This should be find, right? Or do I need a special battery for a motherboard?

I didn't clear the cmos. After I replaced the battery I had to renenter the date/time in the bios. Do I still need to clear the cmos?

that's the right battery, as long as the cd# is identical you will be fine. i assume you put it in correctly right? with the numbers face up.

Yes, in my dell I put it in with the numbers up and the funny bumpy surface down. I hear they can explode if you put them in wrong.

Hmm, so why does my date/time still change.

anytime you take out the battery for a certain length of time, it resets the bois completely to defaults.

just go back into bios can put the correct time/date in.
if you dont, you may experience some problems with some internet sites certificates.

edit: nvm i did not read your entire post, if the date/time is still reseting itself with the new battery in, then somebody else with more knowledge will come in and give you a fix for it i hope.

Could be the chip that maintains your settings is burned out, which isn't replaceable... Sure your region settings in windows is correct?

Leave the battery out for a few minutes - that is to say, if you didn't wait for a few minutes already. (2-3 minutes should do, but you could wait, say 10 to be sure). If you pull the old one out and put the new one right in, the CMOS doesn't discharge completely, so you should wait a few minutes. That will clear the CMOS, so you would have to go into the BIOS setup and enter the date/time, and the save your changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom