PSU causing lag problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazer18

Baseband Member
Hey yall,

I've recently been trying to get my 6-7 or so year old computer back into gaming. I used to be able to play just fine but an old video card died and crap got built up on this computer. I've got great advice recently from yall here on a video card upgrade and a RAM upgrade. I can now actually play BF2 decently. However, I still have some to be desired from what I can remember this computer used to play when I first started a few years back.

Right now I'm running a:
Dell Dimension 8300
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2.99GHz, 2.00GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X video card
(I'm not real knowledgeable on computers so if I missed things please point them out)

When I run BF2(Project Reality) right now I get pretty bad lag with settings on 1024x768 with medium settings. I turned it down to 800x600 with all high settings and things seem a little better but not where I think they should be. Seems like some of the graphics are still slightly choppy/blurred too. I'm pulling about 15fps when the screen is full of objects and between 20-30fps when I'm in tight around things.

Anyway, on to my question. I'm wondering; can an under-rated PSU cause these problems? I didn't think about it until earlier but the new video card does mention on the box about having a minimum 450W power supply. I don't know what I've got but it's whatever came stock with this computer so it's probably not to high-end. Could a new PSU fix these issues?

Thank you so much in advance.

It is possible.

You can open up the case and look at the psu. It will give you watts and amps.

Post that information up here.

Unfortunately Dell does not use high end power supplies in their computers.
The good news is if you get a good one you can use it for a future build and put the crappy one back in the dell.

I just took a look at the PSU. All of the information was on the bottom so it was tough to get a good look at and I couldn't find an amp rating. I did see that it's rated for only 305W though.

It will be a poorly rated 305 as well. The problem that I am seeing is that while the 8300 appears to use a standard atx power supply the cutout for the back is an issue. People are having to do a little cutting to get replacement power supplies to work.

yes, PC power and cooling makes very good PSU's and that will work.

Sounds good. You think it would fit fine too? I don't mind cutting but only if I absolutely have to and there's no way around.

I've never swapped a PSU before but is it basically just disconnect old PSU wires and slide old PSU out. Then slide new PSU in, connect new PSU wires and you're good to go?

Another question...My link mentions something about that PSU using PCI Express connectors. Will there be a problem if I'm still using an AGP video card?

it should fit.

yes, just be sure to remember to hook every thing back up.

and it will not have a problem powering your 3850.

Sounds great. Thanks so much to both Hefemeister and philbar71. I really do appreciate the knowledge yall carry at this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom