Suggestions on my build please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exile960

Beta member
First of all, love the community here and all of your informative replies.

Anyways, my computer now has lasted 3 years, but I wanted to build another for basically just other reasons. Main uses would be using 3DMax (lots of rendering), Sony Vegas, running games at high settings, and able to multi task very well. I do know how to overclock and have my current computer to do so on both cpu and video card. I also only have 32bit Vista atm, which I may go higher when Windows 7 comes out. Price would be great to stay below ~1300-1500 so I can have some wiggle room for another monitor/mouse/keyboard etc.

My future build looks something like:

CPU - Intel Core i7 920
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Memory: OCZ Reaper 4GB
Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Memory Cooling - Corsair
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMXAF2 Fan & Heatsinks - Memory & Chipset Cooling
Board: Intel LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Supports Crossfire and SLI
Newegg.com - Intel BOXDX58SO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Video Card: 4890 (two)
I had orginally planned on two 4890's because I have seen consistantly through benchmarks how powerful they are. What else would you suggest?
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi
Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards
Power Supply - Corsair
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master V8 (Orginally had Zalman but like the look of V8 a LOT)
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Case - Thermaltake - Anything ArmorPlus on this page. I really like Thermaltake and full towers. Please do not suggest another brand, there are 3 on that page that would be good to suggest though!
Newegg.com - Thermaltake,Computer Cases,ATX Full Tower,Yes,thermaltake

Also,

Is 1366 really headed into a dead end? I have looked up a lot on it but everyone keeps saying the negative.

Thanks a bunch. If you say another choice please tell me why you chose that, I really do not have a preference in the first place of brands over other brands, just be nice to know for future reference.

dual channel ram will do you no good. Go for a 6gb or 12gb kit. I'm not up to snuff with the current bests in that department, but somebody will pop along links in a bit. Also don't go with the Intel board, I'd go for the Gigabyte, EVGA or jump on the Asus p6t bandwagon. Other than that, looks good depending on what size monitor you'll be using.

No 1366 is not headed into a dead end. Don't worry.

I agree with everything Hikari said. I want to throw in this suggestion for you too.

Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Unfortunately it is out of stock right now but you can probably get it from their site for pretty much the same price.

You will only really benefit from a sound card if you have some nice speakers (I'm not talking a set of 2.1 logitechs)

I know you said not to suggest other cases but I have a thermaltake armor and I wish I had a different case. It is tough to do wire management in and it is crazy heavy. Your choice though.

I second the components hikari suggested. And yes the 4890 crossfire is a great choice, especially if your gaming a high res with AA cranked up. Good choice. Also in case you didn't know you cannot use the 32 bit vista with this new build since it wont read all the RAM, You will have to buy 64bit vista or just get a copy of windows 7 RC for free for a year.

I second the components hikari suggested. And yes the 4890 crossfire is a great choice, especially if your gaming a high res with AA cranked up. Good choice. Also in case you didn't know you cannot use the 32 bit vista with this new build since it wont read all the RAM, You will have to buy 64bit vista or just get a copy of windows 7 RC for free for a year.

Yeah, I usually play at 1600x1200 with my current monitor and if I get one of the newer ones (that dont do that res much anymore) it will go up a bit higher. As the previous guy suggested 6 gigs, I would have to upgrade to 64bit which I figured would be the smart choice in the long run anyways.

No 1366 is not headed into a dead end. Don't worry.

I agree with everything Hikari said. I want to throw in this suggestion for you too.

Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Unfortunately it is out of stock right now but you can probably get it from their site for pretty much the same price.

You will only really benefit from a sound card if you have some nice speakers (I'm not talking a set of 2.1 logitechs)

I know you said not to suggest other cases but I have a thermaltake armor and I wish I had a different case. It is tough to do wire management in and it is crazy heavy. Your choice though.

That was orginally the board I had in mind, I must have mistaken it for the one I put in my first post. Thanks! Always seems to be out of stock to :). I want a good sound card becuase sometimes I mess with Sound Forge with mixing sound, like to hear the distant sounds in gaming (sennheiser headphones), and for my speakers (not logitechs! ha).

Actually, I love the case. I would say though, without handle bars the thing can be a pain in the butt. It is heavy has heck! I may consider going with a different one, but really like the idea of the newer cases. I believe some have slide out trays with the MB attached, side fans, and HDs at the bottom of the case.

So, the going crossfire with the 4890's is worth it in the long run and I will be happy with it? Is the GTX 260/280/285 etc better off? I plan to up the clocks on whatever I get.

well if you plan to up the clocks then the 4890 is a great choice. But i think in crossfire the gtx 275 solution will perform a bit better. But once they are overcloked a bit they would be close, needles to say you would be happy with the 4890 solution.

well if you plan to up the clocks then the 4890 is a great choice. But i think in SLI the gtx 275 solution will perform a bit better. But once they are overcloked a bit they would be close, needles to say you would be happy with the 4890 solution.

Fixed. :p

Even if you had gotten the 4gb, you should be using a 64bit OS. :p So either way, 64bit is the way to go.

Everything else is looking pretty good.

Fixed. :p

Even if you had gotten the 4gb, you should be using a 64bit OS. :p So either way, 64bit is the way to go.

Everything else is looking pretty good.
Thanks for the correction there;) That wasn't the only grammar error in my sentence, i am no good at typing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom