CMSTORM PROJECT: Scout Military Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps back the smoked acrylic with some white painted modders mesh...

That with a white interior, smoked acrylic for all the windows, all black components, and white lighting inside would looks gorgeous.

The best part about this project is that it will be done quickly...which means frequent updates....ohh goodie!

Thanks guys! I hope so too!

Diagram of the CM Storm Scout

cmstorm.scout.sniper.mnpctech.com9s.jpg

1st order of business is to open the top perforated 140mm grill to help improve airflow. The top handle will have to be removed in order to perform this procedure.
The plastic carry handle is reinforced with steel. You can remove the handle's plastic shell by removing the 4x 140mm fan screws and 2x screws towards the top rear of the case

cmstorm.scout.sniper.mnpctech.com9d.jpg

2x screws are located underneath the front I/O ports
cmstorm.scout.sniper.mnpctech.com9e.jpg

Cool, I think this is a cool looking case to begin with, knowing you it's going to looks 100x better than what it did when you first touched it!

Thank you! :)

This is as far as I'm going to pull the handle off. ....cause it will be a PITA otherwise
cmstorm.scout.sniper.mnpctech.com9g.jpg

Closer look at the 140mm top exhaust grill
cmstorm.scout.sniper.mnpctech.com9h.jpg

4x screws fasten on the steel portion of the handle. Notice it has large tabs that slide into the top of the chassis.
cmstorm.scout.sniper.mnpctech.com9i.jpg

I'm using this 120mm wire fan grill to find the center of the perforated grill
cmstorm.scout.sniper.mnpctech.com9j.jpg

Greenlee Knock out Punches

Greenlee part # 730EBB-120 Last time I inquired, they were around $450 (us dollars) in the states + Large 3/4" socket wrench, and 2" socket. I wouldn't use anything less than 19" long socket wrench. Estimated purchase price of $550 new. These are primarly used by Electricians and sometimes Plumbers.
SilentSwing9dtool.jpg

Back to removing the Scout's top perforated fan grill.

In order to fit the Greenlee's knock shaft into the grill, I cut a 1.5" opening in the center of the perforated grill with a heavy duty wire cutter
cmstorm.scout.sniper.mnpctech.com9k.jpg

cmstorm.scout.sniper.mnpctech.com9l.jpg

You first insert the threaded shaft
cmstorm.scout.sniper.mnpctech.com9m.jpg

I'm using a 19" long 3/4" socket wrench to turn the blade
cmstorm.scout.sniper.mnpctech.com9n.jpg

Within a matter of minutes, a clean 120mm size hole is cut.
cmstorm.scout.sniper.mnpctech.com9o.jpg

The center of the perforated grill
cmstorm.scout.sniper.mnpctech.com9q.jpg

I will have to buy a 140mm size knock-out blade soon
cmstorm.scout.sniper.mnpctech.com9p.jpg

my o my that cut is pretty......i really wish i had one of those at this point.....amazing project

Thanks for the comments guys!

CM should be sending me another Window side panel, so i can have windows on both sides. On the right side, I'll be applying laser cut out of their new CM STORM logo, from 1/8" thick red translucent and black opaque acrylic

cmstorm.scout.sniper.mnpctech.com9w.jpg

Outlining the Scout's new window for the right side onto 1/8" thick clear acrylic sheet
cmstorm.scout.sniper.mnpctech.com9x.jpg

The window was cut using a band saw
cmstorm.scout.sniper.mnpctech.com9y.jpg

The window was originally fastened on with plastic tabs, but I will use 8/32 socket head screws instead
cmstorm.scout.sniper.mnpctech.com9z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom