might upgrade to 4GB or 6GB from 3GB when i get Windows 7, worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with that. Ram usage seems to be a big misunderstanding for alot of people just starting out.

I did see a review (I think it was Tom's Hardware) that showed a 5-10 fps gain when using 6gb over 3gb (with an i7 of course)

I saw that same review. I don't think it was necessarily because it was exactly 6GB of RAM, but that 3GB of RAM was a limiting factor. I was surprised to see that big of a gain myself.

Vista has also skewed peoples view of how much ram they need. It basically takes about a third of your ram as a reserve, but its not actually using it. I think alot of people dont realise this.

Wildside, i think you will benifit from having 4gbs of ram, but only if its a new dual-channel set, not just adding another stick.

Wildside you should keep that in mind. It looks like you plan on keepin you ballistix which is fine if that's what you really want, but for the sake of dual channel, performance, and keeping things simple, I'd pick up those 2.1v vipers on sale if you want to go for a rebate. If not I would suggest these- Newegg.com - G.SKILL HK 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Shipping isn't free on them, but they run at 1.8v-1.9v, they're 4-4-4-12, and they're still cheap.

problem though that i should of mentioned in my first post. My mobo RAM compatibility:

MSI Computer Corp. - Product

i just now bid for this Crucial Ballistix 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 2.0v for $31.50, plus this has free shipping! I'm going to get my Paypal account ready tomorrow. I want this badly!:

Crucial Ballistix RAM DDR2 800 PC 6400 4 GB ( 2 x 2GB ) - eBay (item 110387317236 end time May-14-09 18:37:05 PDT)

I would not worry about that. Sure they are 'supported' which probably means they have been tested with that memory, but as you will see there is no 'unsupported' list. All it means is that some memory wasnt tested with it. I have never heard of any memory not working soley because the brand wasnt 'supported'.

As long as the memory complies with the motherboard's memory spec there is no reason why it shouldnt work.

^ That's odd. I've never once had any memory not work on a motherboad I've had. I've ran various models of Crucial, OCZ, Corsair, Kingston, and Patriot. Must be one of those one in a million things.

^ That's odd. I've never once had any memory not work on a motherboad I've had. I've ran various models of Crucial, OCZ, Corsair, Kingston, and Patriot. Must be one of those one in a million things.

Yha, bought 35 buck generic ram and blam... booted right up.

Had 4 sticks of the Corsair, and none worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom