need urgent help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not an assembly issue, don't waste your time. it's a configuration thing. I have to help a buddy move tomorrow so i wont be here early but hefe should be able to get you straightened out.

ok i tried to run an old HDD with windows 98 on it (just to get booted up and find the problem) it showed the windows 98 HD and it got to the windows 98 screen... but then it said not enough extended memory space to run it? then i hit ok and my pc shut off so i tried again, now its stuck at the windows 98 window... and now it powered down again, im scared to try it again...

i could always put vista on this hdd from another pc and try it? the one with 98 on it is a WD 13.6g HDD lol

ok so i tried it again with another HD in it, ontop of the 13.6gb hd i put a samsung 8.4gb HD in it and it still didnt work, it just sais not enough extended memory available to run windows. quit one or more applications.... then it just dies again...

ok wow i found the problem..... i noticed on my dvd drive i had 1 bent pin... wow took over 10 hours to figure that out lol... i didnt even notice it heh, i just took a pair of pliers and straightned it out... now i gotta reassemble this machine once its done installing lol. i got the dvd driver sitting ontop of my desk, oh well atleast thats over with, the next nightmare will be the drivers heh.

Ok lets see if I got this right.

Computer is posting and you can get into bios.
Computer will not recognize the vista install dvd you have put in the dvd drive.
The dvd drive is ide.
Correct?

You computer will have a hard time booting from a hd with win98 from another computer. Do not waste your time with that.
Are you positive that this drive is a dvd drive? I seem to remember you saying it was 10 years old.

Ok lets see if I got this right.

Computer is posting and you can get into bios.
Computer will not recognize the vista install dvd you have put in the dvd drive.
The dvd drive is ide.
Correct?

You computer will have a hard time booting from a hd with win98 from another computer. Do not waste your time with that.
Are you positive that this drive is a dvd drive? I seem to remember you saying it was 10 years old.

i just got vista installed!!!!!! well doing the setup process now, but ya you were right it was the dvd drive its self, i probably bent the pin when i was taking it of the old rig, since i was just ripping the pieces out lol.

doh hit another snag :( now its not reading the dvd drive again... im on the select the driver to be installed part, maby this old dvd isnt compatible with vista?

Is the disk scratched at all?

nope, vista even says i can remove the disk to do this process if needed... so no disk is even required, i might use an old floppy drive i have laying around to try to use that as the driver to be installed lol since this is my only dvd drive i think.

hmm u know what i think it means? i think it wants a disk... i dont have a disk for this dvd drive...

a floppy drive will not help you at all.

How about dropping the $20 to $30 on a new sata dvd burner?

ya i might be forced to do that if i cant get this working, if i dont have it running by 2morrow ill pick one up on the way to work. im going to try to reinstall windows and see if that helps, its still reading the vista dvd, doubt this will work but ill try it, if nothing else ill try throwing some other driver cds in here and see if that helps at all.

hmm still keep getting the no device drivers were found error.

doh i forgot to create a partition for my HDD... its been so long i cant even remember how to do it lol

Have you tried installing with just 1 stick of ram?

Sometimes vista can have issues installing with more than one stick.

What is the size of your hd?
You can partition it when you start the install of Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom