GPU Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
Would it be worth the 5 mins and dab of Arctic Silver 5 to take off the stock heatsink on my FX 5700 card and apply the AS5 to it? Think that would make a decent improvement over whatevers under there or am I just gonna get a lot of 'well its kinda up to you' answers :p I got some AS5 to spare...not like I'm gonna be changing out 10 CPU's anytime soon. What do you guys think eh?

you could be our test pilot

lol nooooo I don't want to be a test pilot I can't afford new planes to crash if they do :p

Mine doesn't have a thermometer in it though so I have no idea what the GPU temps are =/ but I do know my card is 300/500 by default and using the "Detect Optimal' brings it to 472/572 stable...I tried hitting 489/589 but it said 'the card failed the test please step back the settings' so I left it at the 472/572.....I was just kinda wondering if I would even be able to get like 600, but honestly I'm not out to really overclock this card that much although I hear the chances of frying your card are slim if you do it right.

iono, because on my card the heatsink is not even close to being flat.. it's like really bad.. so i stuck as5 under there and it didn't help at all, because i had to put enough to make the connection between the chip and the heatsink.. but i say try it anyways =)

well I haven't taken mine off yet so I don't even know what the surface looks like, but the last one was fairly smooth and should only require a thin layer about the size I put on my CPU...I think I'll wind up doin it :p

jsut dont whine when something goes wrong
I whine to myself and possibly god when something goes wrong :p not people in the forums...jeez I'm not that dense as to blame my Compter problems on people in the forums :rolleyes:

omg! ok my computer just exploded, why did you idiots tell me to turn it on!! AHH, i hate everyone in here!!

Demalii said:
omg! ok my computer just exploded, why did you idiots tell me to turn it on!! AHH, i hate everyone in here!!
LMFAO!

Nubius, I put some AS5 on my 5900se(because i could) I haven't seen any problems, but it all depends on the heatsink. if you heatsink is lapped pretty good(so it at least makes contact with the gpu) you will be fine. I don't remember what my temps are for my card are under load, I'll have to use a GFX intensive game when I get some spare time. they are at 37 C right now, but the card auto declocks to 300mhz when in 2d mode, then is bumped up to 424 in 3d.

but the card auto declocks to 300mhz when in 2d mode, then is bumped up to 424 in 3d.
Yeah I noticed that mine does the same, not sure if technically the 425 mine shows is overclocked or standard for the 3D? But I just selected No overclocking and it says 300/500 in greyed numbers. I think I'm gonna look into the Nvidia 6600 when it comes out, sounds like it'll be a formidable card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom