Not good - I thought I OC'd my Processor, but now its running slower!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Philbar -

Great news! I made the RAM changes you requested, and it seemed to help significantly! Im still getting a bit choppy FPS, but its a huge imrpovement! Thanks so much for the help man

also is there a place to set the timings? if there is then you should set them to stock or close to stock. because the ram timings can also have a negative impact on your game perfromance.

Do I set the first 4 numbers to 4-4-4-12?

RAM1.jpg

Looks like I took a few steps backward now...

I can bump up the FSB like normal - get the processor running at 4.13 Ghz (413FSB) but the performance drops dramatically (down to 25 FPS or so)

It seemed to be running fine for a bit, but then I went to change the RAM timings to 4-4-4-12, and put the RAM voltage at 1.9V - then the Computer wont boot up!

The issue Im having is definitely related to the RAM. Whenever I adjust the Processor FSB, something affects the RAM and slows it way down. Im just not sure what to do with the RAM to get it in synch with the faster processor speeds.

So what I did now was 'reset' to defaults - and I turned off SpeedStep and C1E, and haven't changed anything else since. Performance has increased (atleast to what it used to be) but Im really bugged that I cant figure out how adjust the RAM correctly when I Overclock the Processor.

I know I can get this CPU to 4.13Ghz stable, just not sure how to properly adjust the RAM stuff

your timings are totally out! they are set to 5-6-6-15. Yes set the first 4 numbered values which are 5-6-6-15 to 4-4-4-12, lets hope the other advanced settings are also correct. I couldn't see this dropping that much performance unless something else is wrong in there, try this first anyway.

your timings are totally out! they are set to 5-6-6-15. Yes set the first 4 numbered values which are 5-6-6-15 to 4-4-4-12, lets hope the other advanced settings are also correct. I couldn't see this dropping that much performance unless something else is wrong in there, try this first anyway.

Hi Baron -

Yea, I did set the timings to 4-4-4-12, didn't seem to help any

One more thing - the memory sticks don't match completely....

I left my older (2) 1 GB sticks in the motherboard, and simply added two more (2) 2 Gig Sticks (6 Gigs Total)

They are all DDR2 800 so I didnt think there would be an issue, am I mistaken?

They are all DDR2-800, and both G.Skill - so I didnt think there would be an issue?

Maybe I should take out the original (2) 1GB sticks and leave the new (2) 2GB sticks in?

Im running XP anyways - anything over 3-4 gig is no good, right?

Here are some current CPU-Z screens for reference:
cz.gif

^ and you say with those settings games are still choppy?

Finally fixed this issue.

The culprit: There is a 'known issue' with certain Mobos (including my P5B) where the Link Width automatically switches to x1 instead of x16 any time you overclock. I had to set my PCI frequency to 101, and change the NB voltage....but when I booted up, I checked CPU-Z, and it showed the link width at 16x!! I then ran iRacing - it is sooooo smooth!!!!

Im running 4.0 Ghz right now - seems to be stable. Now Im going to run some stress tests, etc and see how it handles - but for now, I think we fixed it.

Cant thank you all enough, especially philbar -

thanks again for all the help this pc is screeeamin now

Ahh so it was the cards pci-e slot being set at x1 that was casuing all the problems, who would have thought:p

Ahh so it was the cards pci-e slot being set at x1 that was casuing all the problems, who would have thought:p

What's wierd is it would be set to 16x - until you start to overclock it, then it automatically goes to 1x. I google searched the **** out of the link width x1 issue, and I guess its common with P5B type boards. I utilized some of the solutions (adjust NB Voltage, etc) and it fixed it.

Thanks again for all the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom