New i7 build - Need suggestions/feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can do almost everything, though I feel like Blu-Ray is a waste of money in a home PC now. If you seriously think you're going to watch Blu-Ray movies, than go for it...but it won't burn them, it will just burn DVDs and CDs.

right, to take advantage of the blue-ray you'll really want to have at least a 24" 1080p monitor.

as for the cpu overclocking, i ran a solid 30-32 fps in crysis with no overclock, but @ 4.0 i'm staying right around 45.....all on very high with 8x AA. So it does make quite a bit of difference.

if you are faint of heart then might not want to try it...or at least do something modest like 3.2ghz (which you can hit with stock cooling no problem) the i7 is an amazing cpu to say the least

^^ Kudos, 3.2ghz is a fine overclock on stock, should be just fine. We can help you with the actual overclocking as well, there are plenty of people that have threads in the overclocking section to browse through.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I think I will give OC a try.

As for Blu-ray, I guess I'm having second thoughts now. Blu-ray discs are expensive as it is, so maybe I should just go for a normal DVD drive. How's this? Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners And is there any particular benefit to having two drives or is one good enough? I don't even really plan to do much, if any burning.

And can you guys suggest some good case fans that will work well with the Cooler Master 690?

Oh, and +rep to all who have helped.

indeed, i've found tech forums to be one of the most amazing resources ever and have learned most everything i know right here ....

that's not a bad burner at all, and the only reason i've found for having more than one dvd-rw is for disk to disk copying...which i haven't done in a long time...hahah as for the case fans it's really up to you..anything that comes in 120mm to 140mm (which the 690 only has support for two 140mm) if sound isn't an issue go for max CFM. Whereas if sound is and issue look for the lowest number in terms of Dba, yet still maintaining the highest CFM....

haha thanks for the rep!

That's a great DVD drive. Highly recommended around here.

Honestly, good case fans are a personal preference. But I'll recommend anything with low dBa, high CFM, and around 1500-2000 RPM.

If you look for Scythe fans, they are very quite and high performing. Bit expensive though.

Bulk packaging should be just like OEM.

The case fans you get come with screws. Installation isn't that hard, you just have to make sure you get the right size and everything. I personally would wait till you got the case to get a feel for it first.

yeah it's the same as on newegg.....the case fans usually come with their own screws...really easy to mount..just screw them down make sure they are blowing the correct direction (really want just as many blowing out as in for cross ventalation) and then plug them into the motherboard or 4 pin molex

dang you hikari! LOL! ninjaing my post again!....hahahahahaha crazy nut

It doesn't seem like picking out a case fan is as easy as picking out any other part...just too many choices. Can you guys just give me your best judgment and recommend me a good case fan? And how many should I get for the best ventilation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom