New i7 build - Need suggestions/feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's like a competition? Who's ranked number one on tech forums?

I'll definitely join once I get my new build if that's alright.

Btw, what GTX 285 do you guys recommend? BFG has an OC2 and OCX that are surprisingly the same price on Amazon, though I have no idea what the difference is. EVGA support is always top notch.

And about the extra case fans, is there some sort of installation required with tools or is it just an easy attachment?

XFX one says it ships in 1-2 months, so can't do that unfortunately.

Comatose, is your i7 overclocked at all?

Wow, that's quite the overclock. Isn't that the max for i7? What kind of cooling do you have? Would my setup have adequate cooling to get to 4 ghz?

i'm running a single water cooling loop on an MCR320 (3x120mm) radiator and a Apogee GTZ waterblock.
i don't run at 4.5 it's not stable, but i do run really stable on 4.0ghz

the V8...i've heard some people can get to 4ghz..but it's not stable in prime 95....but 3.8 is...

also if ya want to break into overclocking...check this out..it should make things a bit more clear for you so you'll know what you're getting into

http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/guide-overclocking-i7-207054/

Is overclocking necessary if I don't really care that much about benchmarks and Folding score? I notice your guide says its advantage is also better FPS for CPU based games. But aren't games like Crysis mostly graphics card intensive? The only games I can think of that are CPU heavy are MMORPGs and games with big open worlds. Still, I'd probably wanna try out overclocking, but this is a real big investment for me so I don't want any part of my system dying during the process.

As you might tell, I probably don't know what I'm talking about half the time ahaha...are there any good, recent guides out there written in layman's terms for building a PC? And perhaps a guide out there that can get me caught up on a lot of the terms that I don't understand?

Back to the optical drive, will that one Blu-ray/HD-DVD drive be sufficient? Can it play DVDs and CDs as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom