windows wont boot with new mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ph3nyX

Solid State Member
i installed a new mobo last night (soyo dragon 2 p4I865PE+) ... my computer boots fine but wont boot into xp... i get a blue screen that says "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down blah blah blah..."

Ph3nyX said:
i installed a new mobo last night (soyo dragon 2 p4I865PE+) ... my computer boots fine but wont boot into xp... i get a blue screen that says "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down blah blah blah..."

try doing a repair installation (not the recovery consol). Anytime you replace a mtb (different chipset) in xp or 2k you need to reinstall the OS. You don't necessarily need to format the drive though. Try the repair, and if you experience problems after that, backup data and reload from scratch.

yes reformatting will give you stability but maybe he dosent want to lose his stuff. Boot off of your Xp cd and repair the instalation like Blueman said and if that dosent work then make a fresh copy overwriting the old one and transfer all of your old documents and settings.(copy paste the old documents and settings folder and paste it over the old one) Defragmenting your HD wont be a bad idea if you make a fresh copy BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom