Hyperthreading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenSilent

Baseband Member
Hi,

Today I was looking around the forums being a new member and all and I saw a topic that sparked my interest in Hyperthreading.

So I searched hyper threading on wikipedia and apparently it can improve the performance of your processor by 15~30%! WOW, that's quite a bit of extra FPS in gaming.

According to Intel the first implementation only used 5% more die area than the comparable non-hyperthreaded processor, but the performance was 15–30% better.

Sweet. So I was wondering if my Intel Core 2 Duo which already has 2 REAL cores could be hyper threaded to like 4 cores? I saw in another thread that intel i7 which has 4 real cores can hyper thread to 8 cores? So can I double my cores and increase performance by 15% without harming my processor? If so how? And what program do I use? I heard my friend hyperthreaded his Intel pentium processor by himself (No not pentium D) with some random program. He said it sucked and there was barely any performance but I'd like to give it a try for myself. Much help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-FrozenSilent

open task manager. go to performance tab. Look at cpu usage history and it will show you if you have it on or not. If it shows 2 it is off if it shows 4 it is on.

It is turned on and off in bios. It should be on by default.

Um, I'm not quite sure what you are talking about cause I'm using Windows XP and I only see two boxes. I'll put up a screen shot though.

Thanks,

-FrozenSilent
Screenie1.jpg

I hope not cause I wanna try this out :p My friend says it sucks but that's cause the rest of his parts suck too. He got a new computer and he doesn't have to hyper thread. It runs any game fine.

HT isnt available on Core 2 series or the Pentium D (except for the 840 model) and didnt come back till i7; you wont be able to activate HT on your Core 2 because it physically cannot support it, since intel felt it wasnt needed at the time.

HT isnt available on Core 2 series or the Pentium D (except for the 840 model) and didnt come back till i7; you wont be able to activate HT on your Core 2 because it physically cannot support it, since intel felt it wasnt need at the time.

Okay then thanks anyway, I just need little tweaks here and there that are safe and won't screw up any lifetime of my parts. I'm using a laptop and cannot currently afford ot replace it because of damage.

yeahhh i was gonna say that the core 2 duo's and quads don't have HT hahahahah welcome to tech-forums!

Ya hyperthreading is not something a program does. It is a physical feature.

Unfortunately for your laptop, there is probably not much, if anything, that you can do to improve performance.

Ya hyperthreading is not something a program does. It is a physical feature.

Unfortunately for your laptop, there is probably not much, if anything, that you can do to improve performance.

although i have found that, while you can't physically improve the performance by hardware standards...you can keep the OS clean with the amount of programs running, and certain tweaks that will dramatically increase performance as far as load times and the like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom