Buying parts off Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK91

In Runtime
Anyone buy parts off Amazon, or maybe even built a whole rig off buying parts from Amazon? I get hit very hard with tax and shipping from Newegg if I go for a new build, so I'm trying to avoid it. I love Amazon's free shipping and tax free policy, so think it's a good idea? I assume their prices are slightly higher than Newegg, but it should still be cheaper. The only thing I worry about though is the variety, as they probably don't have as much parts to choose from.

Any input would be great. (I can't believe I'm thinking about building a new rig after promising myself I'd wait until after college.)

edit: Also, how much do you guys think I could get for my rig off Craigslist?

I have purchased a bunch of camera gear from amazon but never computer components.

I was very happy with Amazon.

Just make sure and price check with newegg adding in the tax because it still may be cheaper.

Thanks for the input.

Do you guys think it'd be smart to buy this case right now? Amazon.com: Cooler Master Centurion 690 ATX Mid Tower Case Black - (RC-690-KKN1-GP): Everything Else

I know for a fact that Amazon normally does not offer free shipping on their heavier products (like speakers I've seen), but it says that it's eligible for free shipping only TODAY. Do you guys think this is true? Like I said, I'm not 100% certain I'll be building a new rig now, but since cases aren't really affected by technology and the price won't go down anytime soon, would it be smart to buy it now if I plan to buy my whole rig off Amazon? For the record, that is the case I've decided I want.

On Newegg it's $74.99 but with $19.99 shipping and $6.94 tax which comes out to $101.92, so yeah, not a smart choice for me.

What would be the next heaviest part? Probably the power supply, right?

Their cheapest shipping price is $41.84 lol...is that a popular site? Do they have a free shipping option at all?

Yes the next heaviest thing will be the psu. Newegg often has deals with free shipping on alot of things so you should look out for those

Yeah, but the tax is still killer. I just compared prices on a lot of different parts from Newegg and Amazon, and I find Amazon is more expensive at most by only $10. That, compared with Amazon's easy return policy, makes it an easy choice for me to choose Amazon.

Please let this thread die, as I'm going to make a new thread later with all my new parts + suggestions.

Amazon has free shipping and no tax, whereas Newegg does have tax (for me at least) and shipping costs on most of their items. So it's actually cheaper for me to go with Amazon than Newegg, and by quite a large margin actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom