might upgrade to 4GB or 6GB from 3GB when i get Windows 7, worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
with my new setup and all it can do I generally use about 2-4 gigs of ram. i would recommend getting 6 for a 64bit os. thats just me.

Haha too funny, I was installing a game today, and all of a sudden went VERY laggy, got into task manager to see I'm using 3.98Gigs of ram!

Thought of this thead imediately......... Not installing I set at 1.9 gigs with 2 gpu2s 3 excells and a word.

I would only recommend 6 if you're in a trichannel i7 setup.

I'm convinced Tri-Channel has skewed the way people think about memory and how they purchase it, regardless of the platform. I think something should be added to that "Noob myths" sticky about dual channel, tri channel, 64-bit operating systems, and how much RAM you're likely to use with respect to what you use your computer for.

I'm convinced Tri-Channel has skewed the way people think about memory and how they purchase it, regardless of the platform. I think something should be added to that "Noob myths" sticky about dual channel, tri channel, 64-bit operating systems, and how much RAM you're likely to use with respect to what you use your computer for.

I agree with that. Ram usage seems to be a big misunderstanding for alot of people just starting out.

I did see a review (I think it was Tom's Hardware) that showed a 5-10 fps gain when using 6gb over 3gb (with an i7 of course)

oh n btw, i have right now 79 processes running. 45% of my 3GB of RAM is being used. My page file usage is 3.29GB. The extra 1GB of RAM should help me out, yes? After i get Windows 7, i will get the 5870 x2 next summer n i have to upgrade my HDD. I only have under 50 GBs of capacity left to use. I will upgrade to 500GB, 32MB cache or 640GB idk yet.

Vista has also skewed peoples view of how much ram they need. It basically takes about a third of your ram as a reserve, but its not actually using it. I think alot of people dont realise this.

Wildside, i think you will benifit from having 4gbs of ram, but only if its a new dual-channel set, not just adding another stick.

As stated before, 6gbs isnt needed for gaming, its just a common thing for i7s. Its only really needed for people who do alot of graphics work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom