Thoughts, Questions, Feedback on Tech-Forums Live Help Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.
To some extent i see it as a good idea. As many people use their PC and dont have a clue about removal of infected items. So what is offered is a way for them to get their system clean and allow us to give it protection from further problems.

At the same time if they are on this site and register and ask questions, the first thing pointed out will be Osiris's guide which can be done for free in just about a hour which is about how long it will take us to do that service.

So honestly i dont think that it will take off. Cause of that fact. I mean if you check google for Spyware Removal not even Osiris's guide comes up on that. I checked the first 10 pages of google as well. but within those first 10 pages were such sites as BleepingComputers and others that are highly known and very specialized in this type of thing.

So even if a new person got infected and did a search they would have much more information out there on how to do it for free rather than spend the money and get it done for them. while i know that almost everyone today has that do it now no matter the cost attitude about them. they still might not be happy with the fact that our service can take upwards of a hour or more to accomplish this task.

Even worse if the PC is so infected that it would take skills beyond that of anyone who does this service, other than Osiris himself, or the PC is so infected that a reinstall would be the better option what happens at that point?

I have seen some logs come through this site itself that are very bad. Some that require in depth knowledge of how to read ComboFix and Malwarebytes logs. Even beyond that of what i know. So what happens at that point?

Pricing aside there are still many aspects of this which were not thought about. What if they can only access Safe Mode with networking? What if the account that they log into in Safe Mode is not the account they use normally? what if they can only get access though the Administrator account but they use a account they created?

Yeah we can still do our scans, but then any installing of anti-virus or firewall would have to be put off till they could get into their normal account with a normal boot.

there are many factors that come into play with this. At least with Best buy and Geek Squad there is a option for someone to go there and do all of this. With us we need them to already have access to a working desktop. Right there is a big limitation.

*Edit*

Thinking about it now, vista and Win7 both have the issue with the User Accounts. They create a Power User account during setup that has limited Admin rights, which is why it prompts for Admin Approval for some tasks. Now if the person has a issue with that profile, they cant even get into the Administrator account in Safe Mode unless they unlock it first from their profile. So there is another thing that has to be taken into heavy consideration. Since it would be one of those extreme conditions i mentioned above.

I would say I know more to do with computers than the average person on the street.
Most people in this forum know more than the average person on the street so I dont think there would be many who would require this service on the forum when they could just look at thread or pm someone whos got lots of posts. But i think the problem your going to be is that some less technically in the know people arent familiar with remote desktop or that kind of thing and would probably prefer going into a repair shop or sending it off .
Its hard to try and get a specific group who will always need this kind of help. Maybe you need to just get a bit more advertising in different places across the web and see what happens over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom