Not good - I thought I OC'd my Processor, but now its running slower!

Status
Not open for further replies.
now you are going about it the correct way. Make 5 to 10mhz increases in fsb then test with prime. ideally you want 1 hour but if it is real unstable it will error within 10 minutes. If you error bump the vcore a tiny bit and retest. somehing like goin from 1.25 to 1.275.

Hef, thanks again for all the advice.

I bumped up the FSB some more - now the CPU is at 4.11 GHZ! awesome!

I also bumped the voltage up from 1.25 to 1.30, and that seems to be enough (it was unstable at 1.25)

I am running Prime95 as I type this, and the CPU is @ 4.11GHZ, and the temp is showing at 57 C. Ive been running Prime95 for about 10 minutes now too.

Awesome! I guess if it gets any warmer, I should bump up the voltage a bit more? What are the drawbacks to bumping up the voltage? My temps seem to drop significantly every time I bump it up

as you move vcore up temps will increase. What you want is the lowest vcore possible to keep your oc stable for 1 hour on prime.

57C on load is good.

One more thing -

I started seeing a big performance drop (Frame rates) in my games after I initially did the 100 FSB bump (from 333 to 433). It may be coincidence, but I've lost a TON of performance ever since I did that initial change in BIOS.

Even though I put it back to 333FSB before I started OC'ing, I still am seeing huge performance drops in the games I am playing. It shows me as being at 4.13Ghz, but for some reason I've gone from 300FPS+ to only 25-50 FPS.

Could this be related to the changes I made in BIOS, or is just coincidence?

Thanks

One more thing -

I started seeing a big performance drop (Frame rates) in my games after I initially did the 100 FSB bump (from 333 to 433). It may be coincidence, but I've lost a TON of performance ever since I did that initial change in BIOS.

Even though I put it back to 333FSB before I started OC'ing, I still am seeing huge performance drops in the games I am playing. It shows me as being at 4.13Ghz, but for some reason I've gone from 300FPS+ to only 25-50 FPS.

Could this be related to the changes I made in BIOS, or is just coincidence?

Thanks

Weird. Did you just set the fsb back, or did you go to the last page of your bios and select the revert all settings to default thing?

That is weird.

My suggestion is to mark down all your settings that are stable, and default them all in the BIOS. Make sure Speedstep and C1E is still disabled.

Test out a game, see how it plays. Then put your overclock back in and compare it.

Remember to mark down the settings exactly. Your vcore, fsb, etc.

Are you sure your not mistaken, 25 frames is a big drop from 300. 25 is barley playable for most gamers. In your earlier screen shots your cpu multi was set to x6 and that was why your performance and clock was low, I suggested doing what hikari said, or slightly different way maybe;
record your fps after a cleared cmos
then, without changing anything besides; 1)speedstep and C1E, 2)known stable fsb and vcore. 3) make sure that the multi is set to x9.5, this is the stock multi for your cpu. then press f10 to exit and save. now compare these fps to the ones from default cmos.

Are you sure your not mistaken, 25 frames is a big drop from 300. 25 is barley playable for most gamers. In your earlier screen shots your cpu multi was set to x6 and that was why your performance and clock was low, I suggested doing what hikari said, or slightly different way maybe;
record your fps after a cleared cmos
then, without changing anything besides; 1)speedstep and C1E, 2)known stable fsb and vcore. 3) make sure that the multi is set to x9.5, this is the stock multi for your cpu. then press f10 to exit and save. now compare these fps to the ones from default cmos.

Ok - this is what I did.

I had also installed some new nVidia Drivers at the same time all this started occuring - and I thought it may be related. So I went back to 182.50 - but that didn't help at all.

So I went into BIOS and reset all back to default, and restarted the PC. That seemed to fix the issue - as Im back to over 100+ FPS.

So what Im going to do now is go back, disable Speedstep, disable C1E, and make sure my multi is at x9.5

If my FPS are still running smoothly (Im sure they will) I will start the OC process over again and start bumping up the fsb by 10 or so. Ill report back in a bit with the progress.

hmm, strange things are happening.

So I reset the BIOS back to defaults - like mentioned - and my FPS went back to normal in the games I play.

However, when I start bumping up the FSB by 10, I am actually LOSING frame rates in iRacing!

Like right now, Im at 3.5Ghz (373FSB x 9.5 Multiplier) @ 38 Degrees C.

And Im back to only around 25-30FPS? So strange

slow3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom