Not good - I thought I OC'd my Processor, but now its running slower!

Status
Not open for further replies.
make sure you saved your settings in bios when you turned off speedstep.

And disable C1E as well.

Ok, will restart now and go into BIOS -

BTW - I ran Prime95 for like 10 minutes, and my CPU temp got to 76 degrees C!!! I have a CPU cooler installed - is this still normal? (the fan was maxed on the CPU cooler too)

Hey hefemeister.

I went back into BIOS and saw that the Speedstep was still disabled - but then I disabled C1E, and rebooted back to windows.

Once windows booted up, I opened CPUZ - and I am now running at 3.6ghz! Better yet, I 'reversed' the fan on my PC case, now it is running at a cool 43 degrees, and seems very stable! Im going to go back in and bump up the FSB a bit more until Im at 4.0, then Ill be happy!!!

thank you for all your help my friend, I owe you one. Next time Im in sweden well go out and get some beautiful brods and beer

It runs cool - but when I run Prime95, its still bumping up to around 73 degrees C. Im gonna change the VCORE to 1.25 right now, and see if that helps

It will drop temps but may make the oc unstable.

If you get errors in prime bump the vcore up a tiny bit and retest.

What zalman cooler are you using?? 73C is a bit too hot for a E8500. How many case fans have you got, and in which directions are they pointing? How many CPU fans? How much thermal grease did you apply to the cooler?? (too much, or too little can have a big effect). There are alot of issues that go into cooling. You might have to invest in a better cooler, thermal grease of case fans if you want to drop your temps.

I would think most 4Ghz e8500s are running on water of very optimized air solutions, so keep that in mind.

Ok, I put the CPU VCore to 1.25 - now when I run Prime95, its only getting to about 51 C!!!! nice! And thats at 3.7ghz too. Im going to increment up to 4.0ghz and see what I get

now you are going about it the correct way. Make 5 to 10mhz increases in fsb then test with prime. ideally you want 1 hour but if it is real unstable it will error within 10 minutes. If you error bump the vcore a tiny bit and retest. somehing like goin from 1.25 to 1.275.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom