Not good - I thought I OC'd my Processor, but now its running slower!

Status
Not open for further replies.

King$nake

In Runtime
slow.gif

Im running an E8500 processor.

All I did was bump the FSB up from 333 to 433, now its only running at 2.5ghz! And Ive noticed a significant drop in frame rates in my games.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks

look at your multi it is at 6 while default is 9.5 for your chip.

Is speedstep enabled?
Did you change the multi in bios as well as the fsb?

Did you just bump the fsb 100mhz in one jump?
Did you have to up the vcore at all?
Is it prime stable?

Is speedstep enabled?

Is it prime stable?

Could you have left me even one input? haha
I was gonna say, 100 boost straight away...

Is speedstep enabled?

Is it prime stable?

Yea i did bump the fsb 100 - did I ruin anything?

Im not sure if Speedstep is enabled
I did not change the multi (dont know what that is)
Not sure about vcore

regardless, I got an 'overclocking failed' message right now at boot. It said I could press F2 to reset to defaults, which I did.

Now - here is what is showing me:

slow1.gif

not seeing anything. did you want to insert a picture?

Were you using the asus utility to overclock or were you doing it through bios.
The asus windows oc tool is crap. I played with it on mine to see how bad it is and it would constantly crash my system.

Always oc via bios.

Take the fsb up slowly in bios. at the start you can take it up like 10mhz at a time and test it with prime95 for stability. Once you get errors in prime you need to bump the vcore a bit and retest with prime.

During this whole process you must keep an eye on temps to make sure it is not getting too hot.
You would not want to have it over 70C at load for a 24/7 clock.

not seeing anything. did you want to insert a picture?

Were you using the asus utility to overclock or were you doing it through bios.
The asus windows oc tool is crap. I played with it on mine to see how bad it is and it would constantly crash my system.

Always oc via bios.

Take the fsb up slowly in bios. at the start you can take it up like 10mhz at a time and test it with prime95 for stability. Once you get errors in prime you need to bump the vcore a bit and retest with prime.

During this whole process you must keep an eye on temps to make sure it is not getting too hot.
You would not want to have it over 70C at load for a 24/7 clock.

I did do the FSB increase in BIOS - I only use AI Suite to check what my Mhz is at...

Anyways, I started bumping up the FSB by 10, and kept restarting the PC. It would reflect the changes properly.

I got it up to 3.5ghz - but then out of nowhere it just reset back to 2.2 ghz, where its at right now. Why did it reset?

It could be possible that your board resets to default if you have an unstable oc but that would be weird.

It is possible that your cmos battery is bad and hence resetting your bios to default.

What does cpuz say about your clocks?
run prime95 and watch your multi.
If it moves up and down when you start and stop it you have speedstep enabled which downclocks your cpu when higher speeds are not necessary.

Like right now - my BUS speed is at 383 (I increased it by 10 until it got to 383) but its only showing my processor speed at 2.2ghz?

cpuz.gif

interesting...so I downloaded and ran Prime95, and I simply clicked on 'Blend'

then for some reason, it started showing my at 3.6ghz!? So now I am running 3.6, computer is VERY fast, but Im not sure why it just fixed itself? Did Prime95 have anything to do with it?

cpu2.gif

You have speedstep on.
Turn it off if you do not want your multi to fluctuate.

what temps do you have when prime is running?

You have speedstep on.
Turn it off if you do not want your multi to fluctuate.

what temps do you have when prime is running?

Right when I turned off Prime95 - the speeds went back to 2.2ghz

I just went into BIOS and turned off Speedstep. Unfortunately when I booted back to windows, its still showing 2.2ghz wtf!

When I turned Prime95 back on, my speed shot way back up to 3.6ghz, and the temp. is 73 C (during prime95 stress test)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom