new video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibble

Solid State Member
i have lately been having problems with my video card decided to swap out for new card

original specs

AMD 3400
abit kv8 max3
ati radeon 9800 128meg its about 8-10 years old
creative audigy
several sata harddrives (segate)
XP pro
1gig mem

new spec

AMD 3400
abit kv8 max3
*ati radeon 1600XT 256meg*<-- this is the only thing that was changed
creative audigy
several sata harddrives (segate)
XP pro
1gig mem

after deleting all software and drivers for the radeon 9800 and physcaly installing the 1600xt the computer will not boot to windows. It hangs at verifing DMI DATA POOL.

I tried reseating the new card many times that didnt work
I tried clearing cosmo that didnt work either
I put the old 9800 card back in it works just fine i put an even older 2x AGP card in and it works just fine

It still hangs at verify DMI DATA POOL

That's really odd. Can you test to make sure the new card works? Was the card bought new, or used?
I don't know why it would change with a card, but to be sure, check your order of boot devices to make sure it's all correct. Make sure there are no floppies or CDs in your computer. Make sure all USB devices are unplugged.

You could also try reinstalling your operating system.

im trying to avoid reinstalling the os since this is was a computer my wife uses.
yes the card was brand new retail

but i will try boot order and take the cd out the drive

If you tried two other cards besides your 1600XT theirs a good chance it maybe a bad card. To be sure try the 1600XT in another computer. If it doesn't work in another computer, it's safe to say it's a bad card.

Hey, well i'm not an expert so i can't really say if this would work, but. if you have another card installed with its respective drivers, and you just replaced it, maybe the new card can't boot up the video, because the other drivers and conflicting, i would try to uninstall the nvidia drivers and try to boot up with the ati.

let me know if it works, or if anyone thinks this is absurd, you can let me know as well hahaha.

ok thanks for all the reply. Yes i install the software that came with the old radeon and i unstalled the drivers associated with it. I will try the intalling new card in a different computer and see if that works. only other computer i have has a 2 times agp slot so hopefully it works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom