Overclocking virgin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

machin05

Beta member
Hi,
I've never overclocked a PC before but am keen to try it out. I've been reading up a bit but I'm still confused as to the safest yet most rewarding approach to this.
My system is made up of the following:
XFX nForce 750i Motherboard
OCZ 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Reaper Memory
Sapphire HD 4850 Toxic Edition 512MB GDDR3
Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66GHz

There are 2 things I want achieve here. Firstly boosting the CPU up to about 3.2Ghz. At the moment CPU-Z is reading my RAM as PC2-6400/800Mhz and not PC2-8500/1066Mhz, so secondly I'd like my RAM to operate at 1066MHz.

Can someone guide me throught the settings I need to change. I have set the overclocking jumper on the motherboard to enable all the CPU voltage settings, I just need to know what to change!

BTW, my only attempt at this resulted in a BSOD - treat me as a layman!

Cheers chaps

First thing to do would be go into bios and set all voltages to manual at default settings...Then set your pci bus speed at 100(dont leave it on auto) Now your ready to raise your FSB...Raise it up about 50 and see if it will boot into windows...Continue to raise by 50 untill it wont boot...After that you will need to increase the vcore by .1 and see if it will boot. If you make it around the 3.2 ghz range you may need to add voltage to the north and south bridge to get it stable!! Also keep a eye on your temps and memory speed..You will need to add voltage to your memory also to get it to run at 1066,,,It should say on the package what voltage and timings it needs to run at that speed!!

Hi,

Cheers for your suggestions.
Here's a screenie of the overclocking bios screen. Can you direct me from here on what to change?

1848_p5_3.jpg

As far as the memory settings are concerned, the memory spec is here:
OCZ 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Reaper Memory HPC Edition Dual Channel - Ebuyer

and the related BIOS screen in here:
1848_p5_4.jpg

How do these setting tie up?

First make sure your BIOS is the latest one available.

Second, most of the time, the RAM doesn't work at desired specs, so try to set that manually.. usually DDR2 1066 run at 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8-2.0V depending on the manufacturer... (its best to check its specs directly online though)

3rd, the e7400 should hit around 3.5ghz to 4.2ghz relatively easily.. but you need to have a good cooler *aka not stock cooling* and you might have to play with Voltage settings

First make sure your BIOS is the latest one available.

Second, most of the time, the RAM doesn't work at desired specs, so try to set that manually.. usually DDR2 1066 run at 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8-2.0V depending on the manufacturer... (its best to check its specs directly online though)

3rd, the e7400 should hit around 3.5ghz to 4.2ghz relatively easily.. but you need to have a good cooler *aka not stock cooling* and you might have to play with Voltage settings

Cheers for your reply,
How do I impletment those suggestions using the screenshots above as a reference?

- The BIOS update you would have to do in Windows
- Find me the exact RAM kit you have, specs and all because I'll need them..

To fix the RAM things change the memory clock to 1066 (first screen) then, change the Cas Latency to Manual, and make it 5; the rest should work on its own and come up with the right timings.. but you might be able to omit all these steps if you update your 750i's BIOS to the latest ones (check the nVidia site)
- Change the Ratio thing on the first screenshot to 1, and it'll overclock the RAM as necessary.. change the FSB Clock (which is 4x the actual FSB because its Quad Pumped..)

Actual FSB x 9.5 = the Clock out of your CPU
So if you want 3.5ghz, divide by 9.5, and multiply by 4, and change the FSB Clock thing to 1473 I think (I did that in my head so I'm not sure if its right) mind you, it won't be exactly 3.5ghz, more like 3.45 or something slightly higher

Ok, not a great deal of joy really.
I've updated my BIOS but couldn't enter the settings you suggested accurately.
I've changed the RAM memory clock to 1066
CAS Latency to 5
But the ratio won't go lower than 6. The BIOS says that it's the ratio between the CPU Core and the FSB Frequency.
Anyway, I've set this to 9.5 and my FSB clock to 1473 which resulted in no POST.
Cleared my CMOS and tried again, this time lowering the FSB to around 1300.
POSTed but BSOD on Vista boot.
I've set the FSB to 1200 and Vista has booted again.
CPU-z is reporting the following:

CPU
Core Speed 2850.1 MHz
Multiplier x9.5
Bus Speed 300 MHz
Rated FSB 1200.0 MHz

Memory
DRAM Frequency 533.3 MHz
FSB:DRAM 9:16

Now I understand that a ratio of 1:1 is desirable but I just can't get my head round how to acheive this whilst boosting my CPU core to about 3.2 GHz

Sorry for being a bit lame! But please help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom