Buying a new Build for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adept

Beta member
Hey ya'll I'm looking to buy a new build - I've been out of the loop for the past couple years on hardware and whatnot and we all know how quickly you lose track of things with this industry. I doubt I'll build it myself, and I know I can save a little bit of cash - however if someone finds that a price drop is considerable for me if I order all the parts and have a friend build it for me I will.

I'm thinking a core i7 920, as I've read the higher end i7s aren't worth the price. The system I plan on having at the end of this is to be continually upgraded over the next couple years, but not excessively. I figure the i7 920 will be just fine for a while. I currently only play Warhammer, but I enjoy other games as well but my main focus are MMOs - especially with The Old Republic coming out in the next few years.

With that said I'm trying to budget at roughly 1000$ - and no I do not have a harddrive I can use already with an operating system on it. I'm willing to give myself a wiggle room of around 100-150$ if I'm given the advice that it'd be totally worth it in the long run to drop a little extra cash. And just to state I dont think Im going to be running dual video cards, and I've been taking a look at the 9800GTX+.

Like I said, I'm completely open to suggestion, and I know there's ins and outs like needing the hardware to let other hardware max out it's performance.

Thanks everyone :) (sorry for the long winded message. and my reasoning for a new build is my current PC is a laptop I use for school which is alright, just doesnt have the power that I want obviously.)

Not sure at all I want an i7 really, I was just looking around and noticed them. Wasnt sure yet if I should drop the extra cash on one, Ill totally take the suggestion of a diff quad core.

I would recommend, if you are strictly gaming, getting either an E8400 or a X3 720 (triple core). There are some sweet deals on the x3 720 right now with a the same mobo I have for it. Lemme price you out something nice.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

All this together will run you $832.89 after shipping, then you get 70 bucks back in MIRs.

The x3 720 is a great little processor. It overclocks well (especially with the help of a Core Contact), and the board it comes with is great for overclocking itself.

The RAM I got you is a bit more expensive, and doesn't have free shipping, but it's some of the best stuff out there. Using the same kit right now.

You're getting the 4890 1gb, which is the same as Giles linked to except XFX, better brand for a few bucks more. This card will more than play your games at great resolutions and quality settings.

The 650w Corsair is a steal right now at that cost, and if you ever decided to upgrade later to a dual card solution, you would have the power to do it.

The WD Black 640gb is a great, fast HDD with a good amount of space to it, so that's a no brainer.

The case is a highly recommended case around here, great deal for the money, and free shipping. Easy pick. Though if you want something different, you can swap it out.

This way, you don't spend all of your 1000 bucks. ;)

What kind of difference are you going to see between the normal gskill, and the black? Are the timings the only major difference, and how much are you going to notice it? Are those syncs on them?

Also, is there an easy way to look through Newegg's bundles? It seems like a poor system, where you have to wade through tons of stuff you don't even want, like processors with snycs, or mobo with cases. Is there a way to search for just processors and mobo, or narrow it further to a specific processor?

The PI Blacks are better for overclocking.

Also, dunno about newegg bundles. I just search out the parts I want and check bundles...I noticed the x3 720 is having similar bundles that they had in March, so I used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom