My i7 trials, with a lot of error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would use vista 64bit drivers assuming you have win7 64bit.

I know on my other machine when I installed win7 beta all of the drivers that came with it worked fine for testing. My new rig has only been up a couple of days and I wanted to get vista x64 dialed in prior to installing win7.

I would partition 200gb for os and programs and leave the rest for data. That way when you reinstall you will have all of your data ready for you on the second partition.

Is that going to effect performance? I got a lot of data... jumbled in my head right now. 'use 2 harddrives, make one OS and the other partition to 2 parts, one for games, one for data like pictures" as well as the whole "just use 1 drive and patition a bit for OS, then partition a bit for games and programs, then a further patition for music and pictures"

I do plan to play games on this a lot, but I don't want performance drops just because I did something wrong.

Ideally I like at least 2 hard drives. One really fast (can you say ssd) for OS and programs and a second purely for data.

Since you only have one drive I would do the partition.
That is what I have at the moment because ssd drives are still too expensive.
When they become more affordable I will buy 1 or 2 for raid0 for os and unpartition my 1tb drive for a data only drive.

I ran raptors in a raid0 for os and programs on my old machine.

So to summarize at the moment i run 1 1tb drive with a 200gb partition running os and programs and the rest for data. It is fast.

will a program such as "Partition Magic" allow me to partition the drive the OS is on right now, or do I need to do a complete wipe/restart again with 7 ?

(before I start installing programs)

yes I prefer gparted for the task but pick you poison.
GParted -- Welcome

Keep in mind you always want a backup of important data before attempting to change partition sizes.
While it works great there is always the chance of something going wrong.

"important data" is all ona removable converted Laptop harddrive. This stuff can burn in **** and I'd just giggle at the thought of the 1's and 0's melting in a firey pit.

Since you appear to be on an active during this, I will use the program you linked, since you've had experience with it, if something stumps me, you might know what's wrong. Better then going alone , either way it's something I haven't used before.

Side note*

I am seeing much improved download speeds... used to get about 220KB/second... right now, 310KB/second

Excellent. I will be dropping the kids off at school but will be around more in an hour and a half as I am working online today.

Except for the part where I have to go return my true 120 [/rant]

I won't even ask. and its 12:12AM for me Lol. But I work nights, so this is like.. .hmmm 11AM for me for "normal people"

Everything seems to be running fine.. had to download stuff for like youtube (flash and stuff) but Win 7 seems to have fixed the other stuff...

I only went 50GB for OS (and am regretting it but will live with it for now) and did another partition to separate Games and Music/Photos

Thanks for the help and all.. now to just... get the money to finish what I started. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom