Please "build" me a medium budget gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK91

In Runtime
Hey guys, I've decided that instead of waiting a few years until I graduate from college to build a new gaming rig that I should buy a medium budget one now. This won't be used to play any intense, top hardware games like Crysis, but it should be built somewhat well for future games like SC2 and Diablo 3, as well as current games like Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead. My current specs are in my sig (keep in mind the 1920X1080 resolution monitor I will be using on the new build), so I want something considerably better.

It's not about laziness that I don't want to pick the parts out myself, it's just that I've been away from it all for so long that I wouldn't even know where to start, so I think it'd be best to follow the advice of you guys.My budget is 600~$700 without the OS or any accessories.

Thanks!

Also, do you guys think I should use the 9600GSO on the new build? I just ordered it, and am not sure how good it will be, but I've heard it's a good medium budget card.

GREAT! combo deal right there
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Pick up that 4870 you were looking at before.
You may use existing power supply or pick up something like...
corsair psu
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
hdd 500 gigs 32mb cache
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
cd/dvd
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
4 gigs of ram, solid timings. I didn't look hard, may be better for cheap somewhere else
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Pick a case of choice.

If you were to use your existing gpu and psu you could spend some more money elsewhere, or just buy all new stuff

The 9600 may do you fine for most games, but with 600-700 dollars you can really do more. 700 dollars at this day an age is hardly a budget build.

Well, I plan to still use the current comp for basic computing and gaming for possible LAN sessions.

Are there any good mobo/CPU combos out there? I kinda don't want to go for Biostar again, and I thought I'd try Intel for the first time since I had an Intel Pentium III.

edit: Also, can you guys suggest some other retailer like TigerDirect? I get hit hard with tax at Newegg.

That biostar noard is awesome as is that processor. It i a very overclockable combination. Tigerdirect's prices are almost always higher. I would assume taxes would be like the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom