Building a budget gaming PC (aka work in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

baGoGoodies111@aim.c

Beta member
Aside from the fact this is my first post, here we go:

Just to sum it up, I'm looking to build another computer for gaming and such.

My current rig is:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.0GHz
ATI Radeon X800 XL
1 GB DDR 400 RAM
an old Epox Mobo that I can't remember specifics about
a 17 inch plasma NEC monitor
an Antec 430W PSU
I can't even remember what my case name is...
120GB 7200RPM HDD

I'd like to build a work in progress essentially. I don't have too much money, but I NEED a new system. I was looking at maximumpc's guide to a 500 buck budget PC, but I'm not liking some of the picks.

OS, monitor, and HDD aside, I'm looking to get a computer for about $800 that I can upgrade as I get more money from working.

Just want some thoughts/comments about this build:

Processor
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem core 2.66GHz $279.99
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Mobo
MSI X58 Pro Intel X58 ATX $189.99
Newegg.com - MSI X58 Pro LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

PSU
Antec EA 500W ATX12v v2.0 $69.99
Newegg.com - Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Case
Cooler Master Centurion 590 $59.99
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP Black SECC / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Memory
Corsair 2GB (2 1GB sticks) DDR3 1333 $52.00
Newegg.com - CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

GFX Card
EVGA Geforce GTX 260(recertified lol) $169.99
Newegg.com - Recertified: EVGA 896-P3-1265-RX GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

That totals up before taxes and shipping to $821.95

Keep in mind I'm simply budgeting now so I can turn it into a beast within a few months.

Any different suggestions/general comments are appreciated!

First and foremost it's important you dont skimp out on some parts, having said that, the msi x58 would prob be fine but it isn't the best board on the marketing for high end pc's either. Also you would need triple channel ram, preferably 6gb. This would be what you'd be aiming at for those components at the cheapest i7 rig.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

comes to 850, but with 80 in rebates also. also i got the 4870 because it is slightly better then the gtx 260 core 216, but if you are going to play crysis alot i suggest you get a nvidia card because they do alot better in that game.

Thanks for the suggestion! Thats actually better specs RAM wise than I could have hoped for.
2 Questions
If and when I upgrade, 2 4870's in Crossfire would run fairly well correct?
In order to optimally use the tri channel 6 GB, i'd need a 64-bit OS (probably Vista) correct?

Thanks for the suggestion! Thats actually better specs RAM wise than I could have hoped for.
2 Questions
If and when I upgrade, 2 4870's in Crossfire would run fairly well correct?
In order to optimally use the tri channel 6 GB, i'd need a 64-bit OS (probably Vista) correct?

Correct. This is what you will want.

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

Or you could download the Windows 7 RC for free. I'm using it right now and its pretty sweet :D

I was thinking about using Windows 7 RC (now that its available to public instead of just the MSDN subscribers), I just wasn't sure if 7 had a 64-bit version. Now I'm getting excited!

i am also using windows 7, and are finding it really good so far. back to question.

why do you need to think about 2*4870's? your on a budget for starters why waste money on something that is unnecessary, specially with a 17" monitor. sli is not worth it, unless you have money to waste and want bragging rites. single cards are better to have when selling for upgrade later on to. put your money towards a better single card and cpu, mobo things like that are more important.

i am also using windows 7, and are finding it really good so far. back to question.

why do you need to think about 2*4870's? your on a budget for starters why waste money on something that is unnecessary, specially with a 17" monitor. sli is not worth it, unless you have money to waste and want bragging rites. single cards are better to have when selling for upgrade later on to. put your money towards a better single card and cpu, mobo things like that are more important.

Windows 7 it is.

Starting out it would be a SINGLE 4870, hence why I said "if and when I upgrade", and its not as if I am content with the monitor, however would I prefer a system that doesn't freeze up or do I want things to look pretty when the frames start droppin?

The 4870 would be a great single card for the price in this early budget I have if you ask me.

The core i7 I have selected is the cheapest one on the market, and from the research I did, it performs excellent.

Looking over the spec's of the revised mobo (Baron5's suggestion) I'm pretty pleased with the choice as well.

Also you would need triple channel ram, preferably 6gb..

You can run dual channel RAM on an X58 just fine, as long as the RAM runs at 1.65v at the very most. If you can find 4GB dual channel DDR3-1333 that runs at 1.65v or lower, for cheaper than a tri-channel 3GB or 6GB, you could go that route. Tom's did a review of dual vs tri channel, and he won't be hurting at all if he was to run dual channel.

Keep in mind you can use Windows 7 RC until June 1st 2010, so you'll need to purchase it by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom