dual monitor setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

tastegw

Inspired by Art
my sister is having problems with her dual monitor setup.

she is using a 9800gt as her video card.

one monitor is 24" (main monitor)
other monitor is 19"

when the 2nd monitor for the first time yesterday, it worked fine, both monitors could display their individual correct resolution.

but this morning when she went to restart her pc, the 2nd monitor would not display.
so i unhooked the 2nd smaller monitor and connected as a main monitor on a different pc in the office, works fine. so i went back to her pc and tried again, no display again.

so i tried swapping the 24" and plugging it in the slot on the back of the video card that the 19" was plugged in, and now i think i have found a problem, it did not post a display in that slot. well after about 10 mins of playing with it, i managed to get it to post a dislay in that slot. so i plugged the 19" in the other (known working ) slot and both the monitors would post display.

during all of this i did manage to install the latest driver from Welcome to NVIDIA - World Leader in Visual Computing Technologies for her 9800gt.

so with that said, when you install a new driver, you must restart the pc, well after the new restart, the 19" monitor would not post display agian.

and anyone help with this problem, should i be using n-tune to configure this setup or does the options in the control panel work fine.
(start-->control panel-->display--->settings)

just cant seem to get the 19" to work after each restart.

Odd. I've always use control panels to dual mine, even with my screens in 2 seperate cards.

Did you check both ends of the plug? Is the card not getting seen at all? and just not expanding the desktop?

i tested the 19" with dual setup with another pc in the office, it works fine.

i think its the video card, what would be the issue?

the 9800gt will display the 24" perfectly fine at all times.

if i plug the 19" to it as well, it will display fine, the problem occurs when you restart the pc

the problem does not exist on other pc's in the office though.

Could be one of the outputs went capoot.

this was my initial thought after i ruled out the monitor as being bad.

but i did switch the port that the 24" was in to the other port, and i got it to work fine.

but when i do that, the 1st port no longer works until i play with it some.

On all mine, its the cable that runs from the screen to the video card... either dvi or analog....

oh lol, i havnt seen one of those that were not removable since crt from many years ago.

but i did switch cables, and the hdmi cable that i was using for the 19" is good, cause im using it now for my office pc, and the dvi cable that my office pc was using is now hooked up to the 19" and everything seems to be working fine.

weird!

edit: who uses vga these days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom