No Signal Detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
did you reseat your ram and reconnect all power cables?

Yep, I have reseated my ram, tried it with the ram in different slots, checked and reconnected all the power cables, made sure the processor and heat sink/fan are seated correctly. And still no beep... bah

At this point I'm starting to suspect a bad processor, but I dont want to shell $$ to use for testing.. its getting a bit frustrating no?

its probably something obvious that I'm missing..

If you have an extra psu swap it out.
If you have a mutimeter you can test it.
Have you tried just one stick of ram and resetting cmos?

Thanks for your prompt responses Hefemeister - much appreciated.

-Now, by psu, u mean power supply right? Well I have only one unit, so I cannot swap. Thing is as the fan comes on and the front LED lights come on, I'm not sure if this might be the problem

-I dont have a multimeter so no testing there
-I have reset the cmos, as per the manual, but still no beep and blank monitor. The bloody thing just comes on and the fan runs, the front led lights come on (all constant -none flashing) and nothing else.
-The monitor was working earlier today with a different comp, so that rules that one out..

I assume this computer was working at one point in time correct?

You do have a motherboard speaker and have heard post beeps in the past?

try booting without ram to see if you get a beep for no ram. Just as a check.

Unfortunately starting to look like a cpu or motherboard but it would still be nice to rule out the psu somehow. Although it does not sound like the problem.

I just like to eliminate every other possibility before calling it a motherboard problem. Just because those are expensive problems.

I assume this computer was working at one point in time correct?

You do have a motherboard speaker and have heard post beeps in the past?

try booting without ram to see if you get a beep for no ram. Just as a check.

Unfortunately starting to look like a cpu or motherboard but it would still be nice to rule out the psu somehow. Although it does not sound like the problem.

I just like to eliminate every other possibility before calling it a motherboard problem. Just because those are expensive problems.

- Its a new computer, I assembled it today, never worked before and I don't have much experience assembling comps,, this is my first in more than 5 years. Hence the possibility that i could be missing something obvious. I followed all the manuals/tutorials keenly though.

-I do have a mother board speaker, and I connected as per the m/b manual. I reckon even if I had the m/b speaker hooked up wrong the monitor would still work right??

-Tried booting without RAM - still no beep and the screen is still blank.

Ok new build brings in new possibilities.

You used the motherboard risers that came with the case so the motherboard is not grounding on the tray?

You have both the 24pin and 12v 4pin psu plugs into the motherboard?

You have the pci-e 6pin psu power plug into your video card if required?

the computer would work fine with the speaker hooked up incorrectly but make sure you did it correctly because post beep errors are very useful in troubleshooting.

Give us full computer specs as well?

Ok new build brings in new possibilities.

You used the motherboard risers that came with the case so the motherboard is not grounding on the tray?

You have both the 24pin and 12v 4pin psu plugs into the motherboard?

You have the pci-e 6pin psu power plug into your video card if required?

the computer would work fine with the speaker hooked up incorrectly but make sure you did it correctly because post beep errors are very useful in troubleshooting.

Give us full computer specs as well?

To answer your qns,

-Yep, I used the motherboard raisers that came with the case

-I have both the 24 pin and the 12v 4 pin plug into the m/b.

Aha, I Have one long continous beep now (The RAM is slotted in), will look up what it means now, but this is progress..
I had not plugged in the 4pin psu plug, nothing on monitor though, but the manual should provide more insight..

will update this post with my progress...

as well as providing the specs.

ok, this is still not working.

-Now when I power on I get one continuous beep, nothing on monitor.
-I powered on without the memory, I got one long beep and 2 short ones - I expected this as per the manual

-I swapped memory to second slot and powered on - nothing happened, - no beep and nothing on screen, both fans came on though.

My system consists of the following devices:
Asus p5n73-am m/b - inbuilt vga geforce 7050 gpu
corsair pc5300 vs 2gb ddr
intel pentium dc e5200 2.5ghz procesor.
midi tower with inbuilt ps - master mesh 908 580w

Can some one help with some suggestions as to what could be wrong??

I found this to be a pretty good way to go about it.

Some general tests that I recommend using beep codes:
Connect a speaker (like THIS one) to the system panel connector so that you can hear the POST beeps.
Disconnect all hardware except main board power connection and the cpu+HSF.
1.)Disconnect the power cord from the PSU and clear the CMOS leaving the battery out and jumper moved for ten minutes (600 seconds). Now try booting with no memory, but with video card installed--- you should get 'no memory detected' beep code, no beeps at all here means the video card may be faulty
2.) try booting with no video, but with a single stick of memory installed in slot B1 (you can try all slots if no beeps)---you should get 'no VGA detected' beep code, no beeps at all here means that the memory may be faulty or it may have a conflict with the board---try the other memory sticks now to see if any of them produce beeps
3.) try booting with both the single stick of memory and the video card installed-- you should get a single beep indicating a good POST---if so, go into BIOS and set the memory speed, timings, and voltage manually to manufacturer's specs

If you get no beeps during 2 & 3 then I would suspect the memory. If no beeps at all then try booting the board from a tabletop, lying the board on cardboard to protect it---this will test for shorts to the case---repeat the above scenarios. If no beeps or display at all ever then I suspect hardware compatibility, so verify the installed BIOS will support the cpu. A small list of AMI BIOS beep codes can be found HERE.

Source ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- BIOS beep codes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom